Help is pouring in for Cebuano triathlete Andrew Kim Remolino, whose household was among at least 30 families left homeless by a big fire in Cebu on Sunday.
His teammates in the national team are now pooling in funds from different sources, according to Triathlon Association of the Philippines president Tom Carrasco.
“TRAP and the whole national members and coaches are finding ways to provide assistance to the Remolino family,” said TRAP president Tom Carrasco.
The Remolino residence was gutted down after a blaze broke out at a residential area in Barangay Cansojong, Talisay City, southern Cebu on Sunday afternoon.
It was reported that the inferno destroyed 15 houses and displaced 30 families.
“Donations are pouring in. His teammates are chatting with Kim as we speak,” added Carrasco.
So far, a total of P100,000 coming from the Philippine Olympic Committee and from POC president, and Tagaytay Rep. Abraham “Bambol” Tolentino has been readied.
Tolentino said that this is the amount now available to help Remolino and his family get back on their feet.
It was reported that Remolino and his family were not able to save anything from the incident, including most of Remolino’s medals from his triathlon career.
His medals during the 2019 Southeast Asian Games medal have been saved.
Remolino’s stint in the last SEA Games became memorable when he placed second to John Rambo Chicano in the men’s triathlon event at the Subic Bay Boardwalk on December 1, 2019.
Because of this, Chicano improved his silver medal finish in the Kuala Lumpur Games.
Remolino claimed the country’s first silver medal after finishing next to Chicano in the 1.5-kilometer swim, 40-kilometer bike and 10-kilometer race.
COMMENT DISCLAIMER: Reader comments posted on this Web site are not in any way endorsed by Manila Standard. Comments are views by manilastandard.net readers who exercise their right to free expression and they do not necessarily represent or reflect the position or viewpoint of manilastandard.net. While reserving this publication’s right to delete comments that are deemed offensive, indecent or inconsistent with Manila Standard editorial standards, Manila Standard may not be held liable for any false information posted by readers in this comments section.