We fully agree with a former adviser to the Inter-Agency Task Force for Emerging Infectious Diseases that we must not, as the Department of Transportation has suggested pretty much boldly, gradually cut back from the WHO-prescribed one-meter distance down to one foot. That suggestion, at this time when health authorities have not succeeded in cutting down the coronavirus that has infected and killed thousands of Filipinos, invites scorn. Transportation Secretary Arthur Tugade said previously his department was “receptive to an initial optimization of the physical distancing measure in public transport vehicles to 0.75 meters among commuters beginning Sept. 14” which he said would be “further be optimized to 0.5 meters after two weeks and to 0.3 meters after another two weeks.” The law classmate of President Rodrigo Duterte had argued that current health measures, like the mandatory use of face masks and face shields, meant the one-meter physical distancing measure could be relaxed. The chief implementer of the government’s plan against COVID-19, Secretary Carlito Galvez, said “optimizing” physical distance among passengers would help ease transportation woes among commuters. “With public transportation, there is faster recovery of lives and livelihoods as we push forward under the new normal,” Galvez said.