The National Bureau of Investigation has gathered vital pieces of information that can help the bureau in its investigation into the ambush of Manila City-Office of the City Prosecutor Inquest Division chief Prosecutor Jovencio Senadors, Justice Secretary Menardo Guevarra said on Monday.
In its initial report, Guevarra said the NBI has already gathered information and evidence from the Philippine National Police that is also conducting a separate probe into the death of the 62-year-old Senados.
“As of last Friday, the NBI had gathered and examined CCTV footages showing that the victim had been tailed all the way from Laguna, and that the plate number attached to the suspects’ vehicle was a fake plate number,” Guevarra said in a text message to reporters.
“The NBI also obtained copies of various reports and photographs from the PNP such as the spot report, firearms verification report, memorandum report, and unspecified photographs,” he added.
Guevarra said he expects the NBI-National Capital Region to submit a follow-up report on the progress of its investigation.
“I expect another progress report from the NBI within the week,” he said.
Last July 7, Senados was ambushed while on board his car along Quirino Highway corner Anakbayan Street, Paco, Manila City at around 11:05 a.m.
A red Toyota Innova vehicle reportedly cut into his lane, forcing the victim to decelerate his car’s speed while passing along Quirino Highway. It was at this juncture when the driver of a black sports utility vehicle positioned their vehicle alongside the victim’s car and fired shots at the prosecutor’s car.
Guevarra denounced what he described as a “horrible murder” of Senados, saying was “shocked” by the news of his death.
The National Union of Peoples’ Lawyers said a total of 50 lawyers, prosecutors and judges were killed in the country since 2016.