2 killed in Mindanao outbreak of violence

A policeman and a guerrilla were killed in a gunbattle that broke out when a joint police-military team tried to serve an arrest warrant against a rebel commander in a camp of the Moro National Liberation Front (MNLFf) in Sanrangani province, a rebel spokesman said.

MNLF spokesman Absalom Cerveza said fighting erupted when the police Investigation Mobile Unit entered MNLF camp in Barangay Daliao, Maasin last Tuesday to serve a warrant on Tikboy Maguid, a rebel commander.

“I condemn the raid by the police in one of our camps in Maasin,” Cerveza said.

When the police team arrived at the camp they were confronted by three rebels on duty and shots were fired. The rebels withdrew during the fighting and vacated the camp.

When the fighting subsided, the police operatives entered and searched the camp but failed to find Maguid.

Cerveza said the police raided the camp without definite information that Maguid was inside and without proper coordination with MNLF leaders in the area and their action jeopardized “what little peace remained in Mindanao.”

He said the attack was an attempt to demolish the MNLF through military action and he accused Undersecretary Jose Lorena of Office of the Presidential Adviser

on the Peace Process (OPAPP) for defending the raiding team.

“I deplore the statement of Usec Lorena, who said the action was valaid because they were looking for firearms,” Cerveza said.





COMMENT DISCLAIMER: Reader comments posted on this Web site are not in any way endorsed by Manila Standard. Comments are views by readers who exercise their right to free expression and they do not necessarily represent or reflect the position or viewpoint of While reserving this publication’s right to delete comments that are deemed offensive, indecent or inconsistent with Manila Standard editorial standards, Manila Standard may not be held liable for any false information posted by readers in this comments section.
AdvertisementGMA-Congress Trivia 1