Saudi extends deadline to bring home remains

posted July 05, 2020 at 12:00 am
by  PNA
The July 4 deadline for the repatriation of the remains of 274 overseas Filipino workers (OFWs) in Saudi Arabia had been extended to early next week, the Department of Labor and Employment (DOLE) said.

In a statement, Labor Secretary Silvestre Bello III said Riyadh has given Manila extra time to bring home the bodies.

“The July 4 deadline has been extended to early next week for us to fly home our beloved modern-day heroes,” he said.

Bello added that the delay in the efforts to bring home the remains of Filipino workers from the kingdom is due to several factors.PNA

“We regret to announce that the repatriation of the remains of our dear OFWs from Saudi Arabia is being delayed due to the pending release of documentary requirements, and our common desire to strictly adhere to the health protocols in transporting them,” he added. 

Topics: repatriation , overseas Filipino workers , Department of Labor and Employment
COMMENT DISCLAIMER: Reader comments posted on this Web site are not in any way endorsed by The Standard. Comments are views by thestandard.ph readers who exercise their right to free expression and they do not necessarily represent or reflect the position or viewpoint of thestandard.ph. While reserving this publication’s right to delete comments that are deemed offensive, indecent or inconsistent with The Standard editorial standards, The Standard may not be held liable for any false information posted by readers in this comments section.