Poe breaks poll record in Comelec final tally
THE Commission on Elections released on Wednesday the final tally of the votes for the senatorial elections with former censors board head Grace Poe-Llamanzares receiving the biggest number of votes cast for a single candidate in Philippine history.
In a resolution signed by all seven its commissioners, the Comelec said Poe received 20,337,327 votes, breaking the record previously held by incumbent Senator Ramon Revilla Jr. who topped the 2010 senatorial race with 19,513,521 votes.
There were no changes in the ranking of the 12 candidates who will fill the 12 looming vacancies in the Senate.
Poe was followed by incumbent Senators Loren Legarda (18,661,196), Alan Peter Cayetano (17,580,813) and Francis Escudero (17,502,358), while Nancy Binay, daughter of Vice President Jejomar Binay, was at 5th place with 16,812,148 votes.
The other winners for senator are Aurora Rep. Juan Edgardo “Sonny” Angara (16,005,564), Paulo Benigno “Bam” Aquino IV (15,534,465), Senator Aquilino Martin “Koko” Pimentel III (14,725,114), Senator Antonio “Sonny” Trillanes IV (14,127,722), Las Pinas Rep. Cynthia Villar (13,822,854), San Juan Rep Joseph Victor “JV” Ejercito (13,684,736) and Senator Gregorio “Gringo” Honasan (13,211,424).
Honasan, who took 12th spot, widened his lead over former senator Richard Gordon, who got 12,501,991.
The Comelec’s final tally of votes cast validated the ranking of the winning candidates who were proclaimed last month.
The tally showed that nine senatorial bets from Team Pnoy, led by Poe, entered the top 12 while three from UNA, led by Binay, made it into the Magic 12.
The Comelec proclaimed the winners based on the grouped canvass reports to determine who made it to the top 12. The report, which is forwarded to the Comelec through fax, contains votes gathered so far by candidates in all positions and the number of registered voters.
Election officials said only 33 of the 84 who filed their certificates of candidacy were allowed to run for senator this year, as compared to the 61 who were qualified in the 2010 elections.
Meanwhile, the Comelec also announced that it may still use the controversial vote count machines of its contractor Smartmatic in the October 28 village and youth council polls.
The Comelec has started preparing for the next polls this year with the appointment of election director Bartolome Sino Cruz as head of the Project Management Office for the Barangay and Sangguniang Kabataan elections, according to Comelec Chairman Sixto Brilliantes.
COMMENT DISCLAIMER: Reader comments posted on this Web site are not in any way endorsed by The Standard. Comments are views by thestandard.ph readers who exercise their right to free expression and they do not necessarily represent or reflect the position or viewpoint of thestandard.ph. While reserving this publicationâ€™s right to delete comments that are deemed offensive, indecent or inconsistent with The Standard editorial standards, The Standard may not be held liable for any false information posted by readers in this comments section.