EDC shutting down Bacman plant anew
Energy Development Corp. said Monday a unit of the 150-megawatt Bacon-Manito geothermal plants in Bacon, Sorsogon and Manito, Albay will be shut down for inspection on May 2.
“We advise the PSE that as planned, we will shut down unit 1 on May 2, 2013 for an inspection. We will make further decisions concerning the unit once the inspection has been carried out,” EDC said in a disclosure to the stock exchange.
EDC earlier said Bacman’s unit 1, with a capacity of 55 MW, had been running on full capacity since April 6.
The company said based on the findings of the inspection, Bacman Geothermal Inc. would decide whether or not any restrictions to the future operation of the unit were necessary.
The company said it planned to shut down Bacman’s unit 1 for no more than 30 days to inspect and assess its condition.
EDC shut down the Bacman plants in early February due to vibration issues. Initial investigation found that a turbine blade was sheared off causing damage to unit 2. The affected unit was running at a limited capacity.
“We recognize the serious nature of this new setback to Bacman unit 2. We will do everything to determine the cause of this problem, and to ensure that this is completely resolved at the soonest time possible,” EDC president Richard Tantoco said earlier.
The Bacman plants are expected to contribute P4 billion worth of revenues for the entire year.
EDC conducted the rehabilitation of the plants in December 2010 at a cost of $72 million.
EDC submitted the winning bid of $28.25 million for the auction of the Bacman geothermal plants in May 2010 by Power Sector Assets and Liabilities Management Corp. The plants utilize geothermal steam supplied by EDC.
COMMENT DISCLAIMER: Reader comments posted on this Web site are not in any way endorsed by The Standard. Comments are views by thestandard.ph readers who exercise their right to free expression and they do not necessarily represent or reflect the position or viewpoint of thestandard.ph. While reserving this publicationâ€™s right to delete comments that are deemed offensive, indecent or inconsistent with The Standard editorial standards, The Standard may not be held liable for any false information posted by readers in this comments section.