News Flash

July 31, 2015, Friday
  • Solgen says Manila City Gov’t violated ordinance when it granted zoning & building permits to Torre de Manila’s builders. 12 hours ago |
  • Solgen Florin Hilbay blames Manila City government for the construction of Torre de Manila. 12 hours ago |
  • Ombudsman perpetually bars Ex-ARMM Gov. Zaldy Ampatuan from holding public office. 12 hours ago |
  • Chief Supt. Edgardo Tinio named new Quezon City Police District Chief. 13 hours ago |
  • Binay says Roxas’ campaign will be backed by government’s machinery. 13 hours ago |
  • Binay says Roxas is not a threat to his presidential bid. 13 hours ago |
  • Fire hits a school in Gingoog City, Misamis Oriental. 13 hours ago |
  • Malacanang says the 2016 national budget has no pork barrel allocation. 13 hours ago |
  • DOJ files case against the importer of trash from Canada. 13 hours ago |
  • Alma Moreno and Princess Jacel Kiram to run under UNA’s senatorial slate. 13 hours ago |
  • Binay says he has yet to complete his UNA senatorial slate. 13 hours ago |
  • Mar Roxas visits graves of Roxases at Manila North Cemetery prior to Aquino’s pres’l endorsement. 13 hours ago |
  • Tolentino thanks gov’t agencies, private sector & media for their participation in metrowide earthquake drill. 18 hours ago |
  • MMDA’s night-time earthquake drill to be held in Pasig City on Thursday. 18 hours ago |
  • MMDA’s metrowide earthquake drill ended at 12:20 noon Thursday. 18 hours ago |
  • MMDA & Makati gov’t give Makati earthquake drill an ‘almost perfect’ 9 out of 10 success rating. 18 hours ago |
  • Marikina 161 Rescuers hope gov’t personnel & people will remember the quake drill in case of an actual tremor. 18 hours ago |
  • NDRRMC Exec. Dir. Alexander Pama notes gov’t agencies’ response to quake drill was very quick. 18 hours ago |
  • MMDA chairman Francis Tolentino declares the metrowide earthquake drill a success. 20 hours ago |
  • Arrest warrant sent to U.S. Embassy for Fil-Am Jonathan Viane who is suspect in a woman’s brutal slay in Olongapo City. 20 hours ago |
  • 133 Filipino soldiers who served as U.N. peacekeepers in Haiti return to the Philippines. 20 hours ago |
  • Sen. Grace Poe not surprised that Pres. Aquino picked Mar Roxas as LP’s standard bearer. 20 hours ago |
  • House Minority Bloc to hold ‘Kontra-SONA’ next week. 20 hours ago |
  • China conducts military drill in South China Sea. 20 hours ago |
  • Agusan del Norte experiences rotational blackouts. 20 hours ago |
  • Camarines Sur Rep. Leni Robredo not ready to run for the vice presidency in 2016. 20 hours ago |
  • MMDA’s earthquake drill all over Metro Manila happens at 10:30 am Thursday. 20 hours ago |
Advertisement

Lee, Lassiter make PH Gilas pool

By Ronnie Nathanielsz | Mar. 01, 2014 at 12:01am

GILAS Pilipinas head coach Chot Reyes has added Petron Blaze swingman Marcio Lassiter and Rain Or Shine backcourt star Paul Lee to the national pool, from which the team for the FIBA World Cup, which opens in late August will be selected.

Making a return to the roster are Greg Slaughter and Jared Dilinger, who were with the pool that trained for the FIBA Asia Championships last August, in which the Gilas team finished runners-up to Iran and qualified for a place in the coveted World Cup after 40 long and agonizing years.

Chot Reyes

Reyes told Manila Standard that he is “very happy” with the line-up he has, because Lassiter “gives us a lot of flexibility since he can play the 1, 2 or 3 spots, while Lee and the returning Dillinger give me size in the backcourt.”

The Manila Standard ran the story of the choice of Lassiter and Lee earlier this week, even as Reyes announced than that the Gilas Pilipinas national team will begin practice for the World Cup on Monday, with two players, who were not in the original pool being added to the roster.

Reyes said then he was hoping to add Petron Blaze swingman Lassiter and Rain or Shine backcourt star Lee to the training pool, while bringing back Dillinger, who was out initially because of an injury in a vehicular accident as well as Ginebra center Greg Slaughter.

Meantime, Reyes said he is waiting for the go-signal from the PBA as to when the team can begin practice on a regular basis, considering the short time available before facing the big names in international basketball in the World Cup.

Reyes also said that “it’s almost a certainty” that he will make some changes in the lineup for the Asian Games in Incheon, South Korea, which will take place not long after the World Cup.

He mentioned the name of the “Best Player” in the recently concluded PBA Philippine Cup in Mark Barroca of San Mig Coffee, who had an amazing series and “perhaps another shooter” and others, so as not to allow South Korea, which will also be seeing action in the World Cup, to feel comfortable thinking the Philippines will field the same team.

Several followers of the fortunes of Gilas Pilipinas, who came out in their thousands to support the team during the FIBA Asia Championship in August, have mentioned that the PBA should appreciate the fact that players like Marc Pingris, shooting star Jeff Chan, big men Junmar Fajardo and Japeth Aguilar had benefited substantially from their stint with Gilas Pilipinas.

Reyes also mentioned that naturalized center Marcus Douthut is also in town and ready to begin practice with the 16-man pool.

 

 

COMMENT DISCLAIMER: Reader comments posted on this Web site are not in any way endorsed by MST.ph. Comments are views by manilastandardtoday.com readers who exercise their right to free expression and they do not necessarily represent or reflect the position or viewpoint of manilastandardtoday.com. While reserving this publication’s right to delete comments that are deemed offensive, indecent or inconsistent with MST.ph editorial standards, MST.ph may not be held liable for any false information posted by readers in this comments section
comments powered by Disqus

Want Updates?

Be the first to know on what is latest from MST.ph, simply enter your email below to get started. We don’t spam dont worry!

Advertisement