News Flash

July 31, 2015, Friday
  • Solgen says Manila City Gov’t violated ordinance when it granted zoning & building permits to Torre de Manila’s builders. 7 hours ago |
  • Solgen Florin Hilbay blames Manila City government for the construction of Torre de Manila. 7 hours ago |
  • Ombudsman perpetually bars Ex-ARMM Gov. Zaldy Ampatuan from holding public office. 8 hours ago |
  • Chief Supt. Edgardo Tinio named new Quezon City Police District Chief. 8 hours ago |
  • Binay says Roxas’ campaign will be backed by government’s machinery. 8 hours ago |
  • Binay says Roxas is not a threat to his presidential bid. 8 hours ago |
  • Fire hits a school in Gingoog City, Misamis Oriental. 8 hours ago |
  • Malacanang says the 2016 national budget has no pork barrel allocation. 8 hours ago |
  • DOJ files case against the importer of trash from Canada. 8 hours ago |
  • Alma Moreno and Princess Jacel Kiram to run under UNA’s senatorial slate. 8 hours ago |
  • Binay says he has yet to complete his UNA senatorial slate. 8 hours ago |
  • Mar Roxas visits graves of Roxases at Manila North Cemetery prior to Aquino’s pres’l endorsement. 8 hours ago |
  • Tolentino thanks gov’t agencies, private sector & media for their participation in metrowide earthquake drill. 13 hours ago |
  • MMDA’s night-time earthquake drill to be held in Pasig City on Thursday. 13 hours ago |
  • MMDA’s metrowide earthquake drill ended at 12:20 noon Thursday. 13 hours ago |
  • MMDA & Makati gov’t give Makati earthquake drill an ‘almost perfect’ 9 out of 10 success rating. 13 hours ago |
  • Marikina 161 Rescuers hope gov’t personnel & people will remember the quake drill in case of an actual tremor. 13 hours ago |
  • NDRRMC Exec. Dir. Alexander Pama notes gov’t agencies’ response to quake drill was very quick. 13 hours ago |
  • MMDA chairman Francis Tolentino declares the metrowide earthquake drill a success. 15 hours ago |
  • Arrest warrant sent to U.S. Embassy for Fil-Am Jonathan Viane who is suspect in a woman’s brutal slay in Olongapo City. 15 hours ago |
  • 133 Filipino soldiers who served as U.N. peacekeepers in Haiti return to the Philippines. 15 hours ago |
  • Sen. Grace Poe not surprised that Pres. Aquino picked Mar Roxas as LP’s standard bearer. 15 hours ago |
  • House Minority Bloc to hold ‘Kontra-SONA’ next week. 15 hours ago |
  • China conducts military drill in South China Sea. 15 hours ago |
  • Agusan del Norte experiences rotational blackouts. 15 hours ago |
  • Camarines Sur Rep. Leni Robredo not ready to run for the vice presidency in 2016. 15 hours ago |
  • MMDA’s earthquake drill all over Metro Manila happens at 10:30 am Thursday. 15 hours ago |
Advertisement

Beijing bid for talks a ploy — PH

By Sara Susanne D. Fabunan | Jan. 19, 2014 at 12:01am

THE Philippines on Saturday rejected China’s call for concerned countries to a dialogue and meet halfway on newly-imposed fishing rules and said Beijing’s call for a dialogue was only part of a long-term scheme to claim the entire body of water.

“The Hainan fisheries law is only one of the unilateral measures by China to force a change in the regional status quo in order to advance its...  position of undisputed sovereignty over nearly the entire (South China Sea),” according to Department of Foreign Affairs spokesman Raul Hernandez.

The DFA issued the statement after China announced its hope that countries involved in territorial disputes in the South China Sea would meet Beijing halfway on the new fisheries law it announced in November last year.

Chinese Foreign Ministry spokesman Hong Lei made the announcement only hours after the Association of Southeast Asian Nations expressed concerns on the recent developments in the South China Sea during the ASEAN foreign minister’s retreat in Bagan, Myanmar.

“[The foreign ministers] further reaffirmed ASEAN’s Six-Point Principles on the South China Sea and the importance of the maintenance of peace and stability, maritime security, freedom of navigation in and overflight above the South China Sea,” said Myanmar Foreign Minister U Wunna Maung Lwin.

Aside from the new fisheries law, Beijing also announced last month an Air Defense Identification Zone over the South China Sea that would hamper commercial flights over international waters.

“They called on all Parties concerned to resolve their disputes by peaceful means in accordance with universally recognized principles of international law, including the 1982 UN Convention on the Law of the Sea (UNCLOS) and urged continued self-restraint in the conduct of activities,” U Wanna Muang Lwi said.

“[The foreign ministers] called on all parties to the Declaration on the Conduct of Parties in the South China Sea (DOC) to undertake the full and effective implementation of the DOC in order to build an environment of mutual trust and confidence,” the Myanmar foreign minister added.

“They emphasized the need to expeditiously work towards early conclusion of the Code of Conduct in the South China Sea,”  U Wanna Muang Lwi added.

At the same time, Malacañang Palace on Saturday welcomed China’s willingness to dialogue and meet halfway on fishing rules in the disputed West Philippine Sea, but presidential spokesman Edwin Lacierda pointed out it was the Philippines had already sought clarification from China on Beijing’s fishery rules.

“Dialogue is certainly good,” Lacierda said on state-run dzRB Radyo ng Bayan. “[But] We already made that move. We asked them. We wanted to seek clarification.”

Nonetheless, the Philippines would not recognize the new Hainan fisheries rule, just like Vietnam and Taiwan which had denounced the imposition as invalid and unnecessarily provocative.

The United States has also described the rule as a “provocative and potentially dangerous act”.

China’s southern island province of Hainan passed the rule in November and it took effect this year as tensions escalate over overlapping claims to the waters between China, the Philippines, Vietnam and other nations.

The Philippines has been locked in an increasingly tense standoff with China involving disputed reefs and islands in the South China Sea, which Manila calls the West Philippine Sea. China’s territorial claims overlap those of the Philippines as well as Brunei, Malaysia, Vietnam and Taiwan.

Hernandez added that China’s claim to the entire South China Sea was in “gross violation of international law.

“It is the core issue that must be singularly and fully addressed,” he said, calling on China to agree to have the issue brought to an international arbitration tribunal. With AFP

COMMENT DISCLAIMER: Reader comments posted on this Web site are not in any way endorsed by MST.ph. Comments are views by manilastandardtoday.com readers who exercise their right to free expression and they do not necessarily represent or reflect the position or viewpoint of manilastandardtoday.com. While reserving this publication’s right to delete comments that are deemed offensive, indecent or inconsistent with MST.ph editorial standards, MST.ph may not be held liable for any false information posted by readers in this comments section
comments powered by Disqus

Want Updates?

Be the first to know on what is latest from MST.ph, simply enter your email below to get started. We don’t spam dont worry!

Advertisement