News Flash

October 10, 2015, Saturday
  • Duterte to wait until Oct. 15 before declaring whether or not he is running for president. 4 hours ago |
  • Immigration agents nab a Chinese fugitive charged with economic crimes. 4 hours ago |
  • Faulty electrical wiring caused the fire that burned a portion of UST’s Quadricentennial Pavilion on Friday morning. 4 hours ago |
  • Makati Rep. Abby Binay to run for Makati Mayor if brother Junjun will be disqualified. 4 hours ago |
  • Pacquiao silent on details of his senatorial bid. 4 hours ago |
  • Pacquiao arrives from Qatar where he gave support to competing Filipino boxers. 4 hours ago |
  • 3 suspects involved in the killing of a couple in Romblon arrested. 4 hours ago |
  • OFW who fell from 3rd floor of building in Saudi Arabia to undergo surgery. 4 hours ago |
  • OFW in Jeddah, Saudi Arabia falls from a building while running away from her employer. 4 hours ago |
  • Duterte says if he shows up at Comelec on Thursday, that means he is running for president. 4 hours ago |
  • Ayala Bridge in Manila to remain closed for the next 3 weekends. 4 hours ago |
  • Ayala Bridge in Manila still closed to motorists due to repairs. 4 hours ago |
  • 2 NGCP steel towers in North Cotabato collapse after being bombed. 4 hours ago |
  • 2,136 out of 3,866 pass the licensure examinations for mechanical engineers last month. 4 hours ago |
  • Fmr. First Gentleman Mike Arroyo asks the Sandiganbayan to allow him to travel & stay in Japan & Hong Kong for 12 days. 21 hours ago |
  • LTFRB suspends the franchises for 30 units of Dagupan Bus. 21 hours ago |
  • Number of fatalities in fire that hit Leyte Prison and Penal Farm rises to 10. 21 hours ago |
  • Ombudsman has also issued a dismissal order against Masbate Gov. Rizalina Lanete. 21 hours ago |
  • Director General Joel Villanueva resigns from TESDA in view of his plan to join the senatorial race. 21 hours ago |
  • Binay’s camp says the Ombudsman’s dismissal order vs. Mayor Binay was done in haste. 21 hours ago |
  • Ombudsman Carpio-Morales says it is up to Comelec to decide whether or not to allow Mayor Binay to run for a 3rd term. 21 hours ago |
  • Ombudsman’s order includes Mayor Binay’s dismissal from service & perpetual disqualification from public office. 21 hours ago |
  • Ombudsman’s dismissal order for Mayor Binay is in connection with his plunder case over the alleged overpriced Makati City parking building. 21 hours ago |
  • Rep. Abby Binay says Mayor Binay is planning to file his COC next week & run for a third term. 21 hours ago |
  • Rep. Abby Binay says Mayor Binay can still appeal the Ombudsman’s dismissal order at the Court of Appeals. 21 hours ago |
  • Ombudsman cites grave misconduct & serious dishonesty as reasons for Makati Mayor Junjun Binay’s dismissal. 21 hours ago |
  • Ombudsman orders the dismissal of suspended Makati Mayor Junjun Binay. 21 hours ago |

Bautista raring to make a return

By Ronnie Nathanielsz | Dec. 30, 2013 at 12:02am

FORMER World Boxing Organization super bantamweight title challenger and WBO International featherweight champion Rey “Boom Boom” Bautista is making a comeback and will see action in an ALA Promotions fight  card in Dubai, United Arab Emirates in March or April.

ALA Promotions president Michael Aldeguer revealed that Bautista, who was supposed to retire after his split-decision loss  to Jose Ramirez in Davao last April 20, was coming back and the ALA Promotions leadership “had a long talk with him earlier in December and he wants to come back.”

Aldeguer told the Manila Standard that Bautista told him he wants to make a  comeback as a junior lightweight.

“He feels that he’s more mature now,” said Aldeguer, who revealed they plan to bring him to the US to train there and “just bring him back to what he was before. I think he needed the time.”

The 27-year-old Bautista was among the more exciting fighters in the ALA stable and when he took a break after his loss to Ramirez, he had a record of 34-3 with 25 knockouts.

In that fight, Bautista was dropped in the  very first round but fought back to deck Ramirez in the eighth round after which the Mexican was deducted a point by international referee Bruce McTavish after he elbowed Bautista in the ninth round and opened up a cut on his left cheek.

It was a furious give-and-take battle but in the end, two of the judges Salven Lagumbay and Atty. Danrex Tapdasan both scored the fight by identical 114-111 margins for Ramirez, while the third judge Edward Ligas had Bautista the winner by a similar 114-111 score.

The victory opened up a big opportunity for Ramirez, when he faced outstanding Olympic gold medalist Vasyl Lomachenko, who was making his professional debut after  signing up with Top Rank promoter Bob Arum. Lomachenko  put on an impressive performance to win by a fourth-round knockout against a game Ramirez, who was counted out by referee Russel Mora with one second remaining in the round at the Thomas and Mack Center in Las Vegas.

COMMENT DISCLAIMER: Reader comments posted on this Web site are not in any way endorsed by Comments are views by readers who exercise their right to free expression and they do not necessarily represent or reflect the position or viewpoint of While reserving this publication’s right to delete comments that are deemed offensive, indecent or inconsistent with editorial standards, may not be held liable for any false information posted by readers in this comments section
comments powered by Disqus

Want Updates?

Be the first to know on what is latest from, simply enter your email below to get started. We don’t spam dont worry!