News Flash

September 02, 2015, Wednesday
  • Missing mountaineer in Tarlac found dead. 3 hours ago |
  • Two bodies recovered from a landslide in Benguet. 3 hours ago |
  • Senate approves bill exempting Persons with Disabilities (PWDs) from paying 12% VAT. 3 hours ago |
  • Baler RTC Judge Jude Erwin Alaba shot and killed in an ambush in Baler, Aurora. 3 hours ago |
  • 1 woman & 2 men shot in an ambush on Tuesday at about 8 pm along Katipunan Ave. at the boundary of White Plains & St. Ignatius Village QC. 4 hours ago |
  • Ombudsman Morales says she’ll decide in 1 month if a case may be filed vs. Abad & other gov’t ofcls. over DAP. 9 hours ago |
  • Ombudsman Morales reveals she has started a probe on the role of Pres. Aquino, DBM Sec. Abad & other gov’t officials on DAP. 9 hours ago |
  • MMDA collects at least 10-truckloads of trash from EDSA-Shaw Boulevard following INC’s rally in the area. 9 hours ago |
  • One Dream Pres. Arnel Gacer fails to show up at DOJ preliminary investigation on syndicated estafa case filed against him. 9 hours ago |
  • Coloma says the Ombudsman may launch a probe into any issue like DAP but the President is immune from any suit. 9 hours ago |
  • Atty. Renato Bondal says P 127M in professional fees alone was paid by PHEI to STI from 2006 to 2015. 9 hours ago |
  • Lawyer Renato Bondal says the Phil. Health Educators (PHEI) was established in 2003 to take money from Makati’s school system. 9 hours ago |
  • Lawyer Renato Bondal sues VP Binay & Makati Mayor Binay for alleged anomalous deal between University of Makati (UMak) & STI. 9 hours ago |
  • Atty. Renato Bondal files plunder & graft charges vs. VP Jejomar Binay & suspended Makati Mayor “Junjun” Binay. 9 hours ago |
  • Pro-environment group holds protest at Japanese Embassy in Pasay City to condemn massive dolphin-hunting in Japan. 12 hours ago |
  • Local gov’t offers P 50K reward for the arrest of the killers of a 10-year-old girl in Tanay, Rizal. 12 hours ago |
  • Thousands of fishermen expected to troop to Luneta on Wednesday to protest the amended Fisheries Code. 12 hours ago |
  • Ombudsman to file a motion for reconsideration at SC after it granted Sen. Juan Ponce Enrile’s petition to post bail. 12 hours ago |
  • Weather forecasters say about two to four storms will hit PH in September. 13 hours ago |
  • Maynilad & Manila Water warn of water supply interruptions in some areas in NCR with the onset of El Nino. 13 hours ago |
  • Some fishermen complain the Amended Fisheries Code contains too many restrictions. 13 hours ago |
  • Comelec reminds OFWs that the deadline for their registration is on October 12. 13 hours ago |
  • Comelec lengthens voter registration days from Monday to Saturday and on holidays. 13 hours ago |
  • 12-year-old girl dies in fire that hit their home in Sitio Masikap, Quezon. 13 hours ago |
  • Search on for mountaineer swept away by strong waves while crossing a creek in San Jose, Tarlac. 13 hours ago |
  • Landslide hits Villaviciosa town in Abra forcing at least 166 families to flee their homes. 13 hours ago |
  • Expelled INC Min. Isaias Samson Jr. asks gov’t what deal it struck with INC that supposedly ended its 5-day rally. 13 hours ago |
  • Justice Sec. Leila de Lima back at work at DOJ and says she has no plans of resigning. 13 hours ago |

Samar, Leyte on way to recovery

By Ronald Reyes | Nov. 27, 2013 at 12:02am

TACLOBAN CITY, Leyte — Samar and Leyte took the full force of the world’s most powerful typhoon that struck the Central Visayas region early this month, and it brought death, misery and destruction, but the two provinces and its people are slowly getting back on its feet and taking small steps toward recovery.

Providing assistance.
Yedda Marie Romualdez, wife of Leyte Rep. Ferdinand Martin Romualdez, hand out relief goods to typhoon victims.

Government agencies have started to function, electricity is lighting up homes in some areas, public transportation is back, and the radio is airing music and giving people news.

“The banks are open. The stores and other commercial establishments are back in business. Everywhere you hear people hammering nails and sawing wood as they rebuild their homes,” Tacloban City Vice Mayor Jerry Yaokasin said.

“The city council is now preparing a master rehabilitation plan for the city,” Yaokasin said.

But Samar and Leyte is still covered with debris. Homes, buildings and public infrastructure were flattened, it would take months and years to rebuild and repair the damage, which was estimated to run into billions of pesos.

The number of people killed has reached more than 5,000, but retrieval teams scouring the affected areas were picking up bodies that they quickly buried in mass graves. More than 1,500 people were reported missing and the number of injured was estimated at more than 24,000.
City Administrator Tecson John Lim called on the people to help rebuild the city by taking care of their surrounding and by simply cleaning their homes, yards, the street in front of their houses.

“Bit by bit we will rise again,” he said as he announced that the telecommunication companies have resumed operations and the airport has been operational with 10 flights daily for Manila and Cebu.

Photos from top to bottom show life getting back to normal at the market and the city streets. RONALD REYES

Lim said the hum of life is back in the public market, the fruit and vegetable stores, the lechon stalls,the cargo forwarders, the gas stations and the vulcanizing shops.

“Distributrion of relief goods continue. Now, we are coordinating with donors giving relief goods directly to our constituents,” Tecson said.

Leonida Becerrel, a 42-year-old mother of eight whose husband was killed and their house ruined during the typhoon spoke in behalf of many of her neighbors who said they will just pick up the pieces and start again.
“I am not leaving Tacloban. I have nowhere else to go. This is my home. We will start our lives again. But we need all the help we can get from the world,” she said.

The United Nations Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs said it has a total of $301 billion assistance for Eastern Visayas, which will be turned over to the government.
Tacloban Mayor Alfred Romualdez said rebuilding the city will require careful planning, especially in locating to safer grounds and constructing stronger structures.

“We have to move on. Yes, we were knocked down, but we are beginning to stand up. I have complete faith on my people,” Romualdez said. “We will build stronger buildings and infrastructure in higher and more safer grounds.”
In the town of Palo, strong winds blew away the roof of the centuries-old Palo Cathedral but seven new priests were ordained inside the church on Monday amid the ruins.
Palo Archbishop John Du said the new priests were eager to get into the service and are now involve in extending help to refugees and blessing the bodies in mass burials.

“We may have lost everything but our faith is becoming stronger than ever. No storm or typhoon can destroy our resolve to have faith in Jesus,” Du said.

In Surigao City in Mindanao, southeast of Tacloban across the Leyte Gulf and the Surigao Strait, hundreds of refugees fleeing the disaster have found refuge in the Fruitful Harvest Church.
Fruitful Harvest Church Administrator Charles Sickles, an American pastor from Texas, who is now a resident of the city, said the refugees arrived in batches but donations from the people of Surigao keep pouring in and the City social welfare office were providing them food, clothes and medicines.

“I am happy that Surigao City government through Mayor Ernesto Matugas visited our church and extended assistance to survivors who sought shelter in our church,” Sickles said.

Among the survivors was Ruel Ytac, who lost his 23-year-old wife and four-year-old daughter during the typhoon. He was headed for Camarines Sur, where he planned to start a new life.
Ytac, a fisherman and boat maker, said he has no more reason to stay in Tacloban and wanted a new life in his hometown in Camarines Sur.
In San Francisco, Agusan del Sur, south of Surigao, burglars broke into a church’s cashier office and stole P300,000 donations for the typhoon victims, the Agusan del Sur police office said.

San Francisco Chief of Police Sr. Insp. Ephraim Detuya said police officers have arrested a boy, who pointed to a certain “Paquito” as the the robber. “We have launched a manhunt for Paquito,” Detuya said. With Alvin Guanzon


COMMENT DISCLAIMER: Reader comments posted on this Web site are not in any way endorsed by Comments are views by readers who exercise their right to free expression and they do not necessarily represent or reflect the position or viewpoint of While reserving this publication’s right to delete comments that are deemed offensive, indecent or inconsistent with editorial standards, may not be held liable for any false information posted by readers in this comments section
comments powered by Disqus

Want Updates?

Be the first to know on what is latest from, simply enter your email below to get started. We don’t spam dont worry!