News Flash

August 01, 2015, Saturday
  • Passenger’s disruptive behavior in Cebupac plane from Dubai forced the crew to make an emergency landing in India. 18 hours ago |
  • Crew of PH-bound Cebu Pacific plane made a Filipino passenger alight from the aircraft after causing commotion & bomb scare. 18 hours ago |
  • Enrile attends Sandiganbayan hearing on pork barrel scam. 18 hours ago |
  • DFA to file third diplomatic protest against Canada over trash. 18 hours ago |
  • Magnitude 3.4 quake jolts Sultan Kudarat. 18 hours ago |
  • DPWH to conduct road reblocking in parts of Quezon City & Pasig at 10 pm Friday. 18 hours ago |
  • UNA admits Pres. Aquino’s endorsement of Roxas has weight. 18 hours ago |
  • Binay visits communities in Cavite. 18 hours ago |
  • Binay says Roxas had been dilly-dallying on his presidential candidacy prior to Aquino’s endorsement. 18 hours ago |
  • Sen. Grace Poe hopes the 2016 election campaign will be about discussions on reforms. 18 hours ago |
  • Sen. Grace Poe congratulates Mar Roxas for getting Pres. Aquino’s endorsement. 18 hours ago |
  • Sen. Grace Poe thanks Pres. Aquino for considering her as among those who can continue his administration’s programs. 18 hours ago |
  • Roxas on serving gov’t: “Ibubuhos ko ang lahat. Wala akong ititira para sa sarili ko.” 23 hours ago |
  • Roxas to the Filipino people: “Mga boss, hindi ko sasayangin ang tiwala ninyo.” 23 hours ago |
  • Roxas on Pres. Aquino: “Pnoy allowed us to imagine again what the Filipino is capable of.” 23 hours ago |
  • Roxas: “Ako si Mar Roxas at tinatanggap ko ang hamon ng ating mga boss.” 23 hours ago |
  • Roxas: “Buong tapang at buong paninindigan kong tinatanggap ang tawag ng daang matuwid.” 23 hours ago |
  • Roxas to Aquino: “I have never met a president who sacrificed so much for the country.” 23 hours ago |
  • Roxas’ voice breaks as he remembers his brother Dinggoy’s memory. 23 hours ago |
  • Roxas says it was his brother Dinggoy who died in 1993 who should have taken on the legacy of serving government. 23 hours ago |
  • Roxas: Dito sa Club Filipino ko unang sinabing “Bayan, bago ang sarili.” 23 hours ago |
  • Pres. Aquino: “Ang magtutuloy sa atin sa Daang Matuwid, ang paniwala ko po, walang iba ang taong ito kundi si Mar Roxas.” 23 hours ago |
  • Pres. Aquino: “Bakit tayo magpapaakit sa ‘baka,’ kung meron namang sigurado?” 23 hours ago |
  • Pres. Aquino: “All of us have the obligation to choose the right President.” 23 hours ago |
Advertisement

Another super typhoon threatens PH

By Rio N. Araja | Nov. 06, 2013 at 12:00am

EXPERTS warned that another super-typhoon could hit the Philippines on Thursday even as Tropical Depression “Wilma,” which dissipated into a low-pressure area in the Central Visayas, threatened to re-intensify into a storm.

Weather forecaster Gladys Saludes of the Philippine Atmospheric, Geophysical and Astronomical Services Administration said the United States military’s Joint Typhoon Warning Center in Hawaii spotted Tropical Storm “Haiyan” over the Caroline Islands on Tuesday.

Saludes said the storm was moving toward the country with maximum winds of 115 kph and gusts of up to 146 kph and will be named “Yolanda” when it enters Philippine jurisdiction. It is expected to make landfall in the Eastern Visayas region on Thursday morning .

Also on Tuesday, the LPA that was formerly called “Wilma” was already 250 km west northwest of Puerto Princesa City near the boundary of PAR at 4 p.m. and is expected re-intensify into a storm as it moves toward Vietnam.

Even after the departure of Wilma, the National Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council will remain on red alert because of Yolanda and various local governments have issued their own alert notices.

In the Eastern Visayas, regional disaster council chairman Rey Gozon directed all local government officials to take necessary measures to prevent or minimize the destruction of life and property.

In Tacloban City, disaster official Isabelo Lagutan said they have already identified several evacuation centers in the city with the primary one located at the Tacloban Astrodome.

In nearby Albay, Albay Gov. Joey Salceda also ordered cities, towns and villages to prepare and undertake “preemptive evacuations.”

“Now is the time to prepare. We ask the various disaster risk reduction and management offices from cities, towns and barangays to start reviewing their response strategies to the impact of floods, flashfloods, landslides, storm surges and strong winds on exposed households and critical resources,” Salceda said.

The Albay Public Safety and Emergency Management Office has called up emergency meetings with the local disaster agencies and the ‘preemptive evacuation” may be ordered soon.

Salceda said households near riverbanks, lahar and mountain slopes should start preparing their evacuation kits and familiarize thelselves with their evacuation routes and evacuation camps.

The governor noted that since newly elected barangay officials have yet begin their term on Nov. 30, incumbent baranagay officials should collaborate with their successors for the sake of their zero casualty goal. With Frank Tuyay and Ronald Reyes

COMMENT DISCLAIMER: Reader comments posted on this Web site are not in any way endorsed by MST.ph. Comments are views by manilastandardtoday.com readers who exercise their right to free expression and they do not necessarily represent or reflect the position or viewpoint of manilastandardtoday.com. While reserving this publication’s right to delete comments that are deemed offensive, indecent or inconsistent with MST.ph editorial standards, MST.ph may not be held liable for any false information posted by readers in this comments section
comments powered by Disqus

Want Updates?

Be the first to know on what is latest from MST.ph, simply enter your email below to get started. We don’t spam dont worry!

Advertisement