News Flash

August 04, 2015, Tuesday
  • Pampanga to experience power interruptions on Thursday. 3 hours ago |
  • Sen. Jinggoy Estrada says Binay’s ‘True State of the Nation’ or ‘TSONA’ reflects the real performance of the Aquino gov’t. 3 hours ago |
  • De Lima says DOJ has no evidence that will pin down House members to the alleged BBL payoff. 4 hours ago |
  • House Sgt. At Arms Radovan says their CCTVs store only 5 days worth of videos before these are automatically erased by the system. 4 hours ago |
  • House Sgt. At Arms Nicasio Radovan says CCTVs in Batasan Complex have no recording of alleged BBL payoff last May 25, 26 & 27. 4 hours ago |
  • Sen. Alan Peter Cayetano says Binay should release his ‘true SALN’ instead of delivering a counter-SONA. 4 hours ago |
  • DOTC Sec. Abaya hits back at Binay & says the VP does not understand the root cause of the MRT problem. 4 hours ago |
  • Comelec says the planned extension of campaign period will prevent candidates from abusing the election rules. 21 hours ago |
  • Comelec considers the extension of campaign period for local candidates from current 45 days to 120 days. 21 hours ago |
  • Comelec mulls the extension of campaign period from current 90 days to 120 days for national candidates. 21 hours ago |
  • Abad says Sec. Mar Roxas will step down once Pres. Aquino has found his replacement at the DILG. 21 hours ago |
  • Binay says more Filipinos have become poor & are experiencing hunger after 5 years under the Aquino administration. 21 hours ago |
  • Binay enumerated the alleged dismal gov’t response during the tragedies in Luneta, Zamboanga, Mamasapano & Tacloban during ‘Yolanda.’ 21 hours ago |
  • Abad says Binay had clapped his hands for the Aquino administration when he was part of it for the last 4 years. 21 hours ago |
  • Binay says MRT, BBL and DAP symbolize the huge failures of the Aquino administration. 21 hours ago |
  • Binay delivers his 40-minute counter-SONA in front of a jam-packed crowd in Cavite State University in Indang, Cavite. 21 hours ago |
  • Sen. Marcos hopes the bullet hole found in his satellite office has no link to the Senate BBL deliberations which he is leading. 21 hours ago |
  • Sen. Bongbong Marcos hopes that what hit his satellite office was just a stray bullet. 21 hours ago |
  • Police investigate a bullet hole found on Sunday at the satellite office of Sen. Bongbong Marcos along Roxas Boulevard. 21 hours ago |
Advertisement

Pacquiao to fight twice next year

By Ronnie Nathanielsz | Oct. 31, 2013 at 12:00am

ALTHOUGH he is taking his “Clash in Cotai” with Brandon “Bam Bam” Rios very seriously, Fighter of the Decade Manny Pacquiao is planning on having two fights next year, according to Top Rank promoter Bob Arum.
Arum told the Manila Standard that he plans a fight in April and one in the fall, with one set in Macau and the other in Las Vegas or the Cowboy Stadium in Texas, Canada, or even Mexico.
The astute promoter said the possible April opponent of Pacquiao won’t be discussed until after the World Boxing Organization Intercontinental welterweight title fight against Rios, stating “let’s concentrate on this fight with Rios and then, we can determine who he should fight next.”
Arum declined to name the most likely opponent, indicating:  “Those cards you have to hold close to your chest because it’s tough negotiating (should your preference be made known).”
However, he assured fight fans the planned April fight of Pacquiao “ will be a card that the people love.”
At the same time, the names that cropped up were those of Timothy Bradley, who won a hugely controversial split decision over Pacquiao in June last year; Ruslan Provodnikov, who won a tough fight against Juan Manuel Marquez recently and Marquez himself, who scored a stunning sixth-round knockout over Pacquiao in Las Vegas last Dec. 8.
Arum was confident that despite Marquez’s oft-repeated announcement that he would not fight Pacquiao for a fifth time, he “will fight Manny under the proper circumstances,” although he didn’t elaborate.
He noted that promoter Fernando Beltran wanted to stage a possible Pacquiao-Marquez fight and claimed it could draw 100,000 fight fans to the famous Azteca Stadium.
But Arum downplayed the proposal. “100,000 people paying P10 doesn’t pay the rent. I’m not concerned about the number of people he can bring in, it’s the economic factors. It will cost a lot of money because Marquez will want to be compensated more than the last time.”

COMMENT DISCLAIMER: Reader comments posted on this Web site are not in any way endorsed by MST.ph. Comments are views by manilastandardtoday.com readers who exercise their right to free expression and they do not necessarily represent or reflect the position or viewpoint of manilastandardtoday.com. While reserving this publication’s right to delete comments that are deemed offensive, indecent or inconsistent with MST.ph editorial standards, MST.ph may not be held liable for any false information posted by readers in this comments section
comments powered by Disqus

Want Updates?

Be the first to know on what is latest from MST.ph, simply enter your email below to get started. We don’t spam dont worry!

Advertisement