News Flash

July 29, 2015, Wednesday
  • Caloocan Rep. Edgar Erice says a wider consultation will be held on who will run as Mar Roxas’ running mate. 3 hours ago |
  • Erice says LP members who are congressmen, governors & local gov’t ofcls. will endorse Roxas as pres’l bet in a separate event next week. 3 hours ago |
  • LP congressman Erice confirms Roxas will be endorsed by the President as LP’s standard bearer at 9 am on Friday. 3 hours ago |
  • QCPD Chief Joel Pagdilao named new PNP NCRPO Chief. 3 hours ago |
  • Sen. Chiz Escudero to decide in September on whether or not he will run for the vice presidency in 2016. 3 hours ago |
  • Prosecution blocks Sen. Jinggoy Estrada’s plea for a medical check up at Cardinal Santos Medical Center in San Juan. 3 hours ago |
  • LP Sec. Gen. Mel Sarmiento says Pres. Aquino will endorse Roxas as LP’s standard bearer on Friday, July 31 at Club Filipino. 3 hours ago |
  • Marquez saddened by CHR's seeming lack of interest in suing protesters who attacked 2 cops during SONA. 6 hours ago |
  • Sen. Grace Poe sees no need to resign from Senate cmte. chairmanships as she considers a possible presidential bid. 6 hours ago |
  • Manila Mayor Estrada plans to seal a joint venture with a private company to operate Manila Zoo. 6 hours ago |
  • Manila Mayor Joseph Estrada defends the joint venture with private firm to renovate Quinta market. 6 hours ago |
  • 14 injured as a bus falls off a ravine in San Narciso, Quezon. 6 hours ago |
  • DOJ team in Jakarta to talk with Mary Jane Veloso to strengthen case against her recruiter. 6 hours ago |
  • 8-man DOJ team arrives in Jakarta to talk with Indonesian authoroties about Mary Jane Veloso's case. 6 hours ago |
  • Coloma says Pres. Aquino already delivered a nationwide address for SAF 44 in February 6 this year. 10 hours ago |
  • DSWD says no politician seeking election must lay claim to PPP program because it is a national gov't project. 10 hours ago |
  • Marquez tells PNP Directorate for Operations to speed up the completion of 'Oplan Lambat-Sibat' manual aimed at fighting crimes. 10 hours ago |
  • Lacson says nothing will happen to Yolanda rehab. program if DBM won't release P 80B from Nat'l Treasury this year. 10 hours ago |
  • Lacson to question before SC in 2 weeks' time the P 424-billion lump sum in 2015 national budget. 10 hours ago |
  • Coloma says Pres. Aquino had already mentioned SAF 44 during PMA graduation in Baguio City last March. 10 hours ago |
  • Coloma insists Pres. Aquino has not forgotten the massacre of SAF 44. 10 hours ago |
  • Sr. Insp. Ryan Pabalinas' wife Erica says Pres. Aquino seems to have abandoned the quest for justice for SAF 44. 10 hours ago |
  • 'SAF 44' Sr. Insp. Ryan Pabalinas' wife Erica says Pres. Aquino could have at least thanked SAF 44 during SONA. 10 hours ago |
  • 'SAF 44' Sr. Insp. Ryan Pabalinas' wife Erica laments that Pres. Aquino forgot about SAF 44 in his SONA. 11 hours ago |
Advertisement

China waves olive branch at ASEAN

By Sara Susanne D. Fabunan | Oct. 10, 2013 at 12:13am
The Palace on Wednesday said China’s appeal that the Philippines and Hong Kong mend their strained relations came too late, since the two countries had already agreed to “put behind” them the hostage-taking incident at the Luneta in 2010.

Presidential spokesman Edwin Lacierda

Said that when China made the appeal, President Benigno Aquino III and Hong Kong chief executive Leung Chun-Ying, had already met in Indonesia to discuss the issue and both had agreed to put the issue behind them.

“[China is] too late. The Hong Kong chief executive and the President has already met yesterday [Tuesday] in Bali [Indonesia],” said Lacierda, referring to the meeting between Aquino and Leung during the the Asia Pacific Economic Cooperatiom (APEC) Leaders’ meeting in Bali, Indonesia.

On Leung’s request, Aquino also agreed to schedule a dialog with the survivors and the families of those who died in the incident.

While the meeting was ongoing, China also released a statement urging the Philippines to take “substantial action” to address the problem with Hong Kong on the hostage crisis issue.

China added that it supports the Hong Kong special Administrative Region (SAR) government position to keep the lines of communication and coordination open with the Philippines with regards to the incident.

Chinese Foreign Ministry spokesperson Hua Chunying made the statement after Chinese President Xi Jinping met Leung at the sidelines of the APEC Leaders’ meeting.

Hua said Leung raised the matter with Xi, who agreed to follow up on the issue before the Philippine government.

On August 23, 2010, dismissed police officer Rolando Mendoza held hostage a bus filled with tourists, and after a botched negotiation, killed eight HK nationals and injured seven others.

Mendoza himself was killed by responding policemen, but the survivors and the relatives of the victims later demanded an apology from the Philippine government for its alleged mishandling of the rescue mission.

The incident has prompted the Hong Kong security Bureau to issue a black travel warning to its citizens against visiting the Philippines.

The Hong Kong government has yet to lift the travel alert.
COMMENT DISCLAIMER: Reader comments posted on this Web site are not in any way endorsed by MST.ph. Comments are views by manilastandardtoday.com readers who exercise their right to free expression and they do not necessarily represent or reflect the position or viewpoint of manilastandardtoday.com. While reserving this publication’s right to delete comments that are deemed offensive, indecent or inconsistent with MST.ph editorial standards, MST.ph may not be held liable for any false information posted by readers in this comments section
comments powered by Disqus

In This Category

Want Updates?

Be the first to know on what is latest from MST.ph, simply enter your email below to get started. We don’t spam dont worry!

Advertisement