News Flash

July 30, 2015, Thursday
  • Caloocan Rep. Edgar Erice says a wider consultation will be held on who will run as Mar Roxas’ running mate. 7 hours ago |
  • Erice says LP members who are congressmen, governors & local gov’t ofcls. will endorse Roxas as pres’l bet in a separate event next week. 7 hours ago |
  • LP congressman Erice confirms Roxas will be endorsed by the President as LP’s standard bearer at 9 am on Friday. 7 hours ago |
  • QCPD Chief Joel Pagdilao named new PNP NCRPO Chief. 7 hours ago |
  • Sen. Chiz Escudero to decide in September on whether or not he will run for the vice presidency in 2016. 7 hours ago |
  • Prosecution blocks Sen. Jinggoy Estrada’s plea for a medical check up at Cardinal Santos Medical Center in San Juan. 7 hours ago |
  • LP Sec. Gen. Mel Sarmiento says Pres. Aquino will endorse Roxas as LP’s standard bearer on Friday, July 31 at Club Filipino. 7 hours ago |
  • Marquez saddened by CHR's seeming lack of interest in suing protesters who attacked 2 cops during SONA. 10 hours ago |
  • Sen. Grace Poe sees no need to resign from Senate cmte. chairmanships as she considers a possible presidential bid. 10 hours ago |
  • Manila Mayor Estrada plans to seal a joint venture with a private company to operate Manila Zoo. 10 hours ago |
  • Manila Mayor Joseph Estrada defends the joint venture with private firm to renovate Quinta market. 10 hours ago |
  • 14 injured as a bus falls off a ravine in San Narciso, Quezon. 10 hours ago |
  • DOJ team in Jakarta to talk with Mary Jane Veloso to strengthen case against her recruiter. 10 hours ago |
  • 8-man DOJ team arrives in Jakarta to talk with Indonesian authoroties about Mary Jane Veloso's case. 11 hours ago |
  • Coloma says Pres. Aquino already delivered a nationwide address for SAF 44 in February 6 this year. 15 hours ago |
  • DSWD says no politician seeking election must lay claim to PPP program because it is a national gov't project. 15 hours ago |
  • Marquez tells PNP Directorate for Operations to speed up the completion of 'Oplan Lambat-Sibat' manual aimed at fighting crimes. 15 hours ago |
  • Lacson says nothing will happen to Yolanda rehab. program if DBM won't release P 80B from Nat'l Treasury this year. 15 hours ago |
  • Lacson to question before SC in 2 weeks' time the P 424-billion lump sum in 2015 national budget. 15 hours ago |
  • Coloma says Pres. Aquino had already mentioned SAF 44 during PMA graduation in Baguio City last March. 15 hours ago |
  • Coloma insists Pres. Aquino has not forgotten the massacre of SAF 44. 15 hours ago |
  • Sr. Insp. Ryan Pabalinas' wife Erica says Pres. Aquino seems to have abandoned the quest for justice for SAF 44. 15 hours ago |
  • 'SAF 44' Sr. Insp. Ryan Pabalinas' wife Erica says Pres. Aquino could have at least thanked SAF 44 during SONA. 15 hours ago |
  • 'SAF 44' Sr. Insp. Ryan Pabalinas' wife Erica laments that Pres. Aquino forgot about SAF 44 in his SONA. 16 hours ago |
Advertisement

HK amenable to ‘put behind’ hostage-taking issue

By Joyce Pangco Panares | Oct. 09, 2013 at 12:07am
Bali — President Benigno Aquino III and Hong Kong Chief Executive Leung Chun-Ying on Tuesday agreed to take steps to “put behind” the botched rescue attempt by Manila police that left eight Hong Kong tourists dead and seven others injured at the Rizal Park in 2010.

At Leung’s request, Aquino agreed to schedule a dialog with the survivors of the hostage-taking incident and the families of those who perished in it.

Leung said the dialog could be at the level of the Filipino consul-general in Hong Kong, but Aquino said his administration “will perhaps go further than that” and send Justice Secretary Leila de Lima to lead it.

Leung made his statement even as China urged the Philippines to work out a proper solution to the strained relations between Manila and Hong Kong as a result of the hostage-taking incident.

In a statement, Foreign Ministry spokeswoman Hua Chunying said China supported the Hong Kong government’s decision to keep coordinating and communicating with the Philippines over the issue.

“We urge the Philippine government to pay high attention to the requirements and concerns of the families of the victims,” Hua said.

On Aug. 23, 2010, dismissed police officer Rolando Mendoza took hostage a bus full of Hong Kong tourists, killing eight of the tourists and injuring seven more of them.

Mendoza was subsequently killed during a botched rescue attempt that led the survivors and relatives of those killed in the incident to demand an apology from the Philippine government.

The incident prompted the Hong Kong government to issue a black travel warning to Hong Kong residents to stop them from traveling to the Philippines. That warning has yet to be lifted.

Aquino and Leung’s 30-minute meeting, which was initiated by Leung, came a day after Aquino was heckled by three three Hong Kong journalists before a plenary meeting of the Asia-Pacific Economic Cooperation Summit in Nusa Dua on Sunday afternoon.

The reporters repeatedly asked Aquino if the Philippine government would apologize for the Rizal Park incident that happened three years ago.

“It was their perspective versus our perspective,” Aquino said.

“I think the meeting led to a clarification as to what each side has been doing. We are working to put that behind us.”

Aquino said he got the sense during his meeting with Leung that Hong Kong wanted to reach a “solution” to the 2010 incident.

“They pointed out to us that after three years, those who must be held accountable have not yet been punished. We explained to them what processes are involved,” Aquino said.

He said the Philippines had not offered a formal apology to Hong Kong authorities because its officials believed there was only one person responsible for the incident and that person was the gunman. With Sara Susanne D. Fabunan
COMMENT DISCLAIMER: Reader comments posted on this Web site are not in any way endorsed by MST.ph. Comments are views by manilastandardtoday.com readers who exercise their right to free expression and they do not necessarily represent or reflect the position or viewpoint of manilastandardtoday.com. While reserving this publication’s right to delete comments that are deemed offensive, indecent or inconsistent with MST.ph editorial standards, MST.ph may not be held liable for any false information posted by readers in this comments section
comments powered by Disqus

In This Category

Want Updates?

Be the first to know on what is latest from MST.ph, simply enter your email below to get started. We don’t spam dont worry!

Advertisement