News Flash

July 30, 2015, Thursday
  • Caloocan Rep. Edgar Erice says a wider consultation will be held on who will run as Mar Roxas’ running mate. 7 hours ago |
  • Erice says LP members who are congressmen, governors & local gov’t ofcls. will endorse Roxas as pres’l bet in a separate event next week. 7 hours ago |
  • LP congressman Erice confirms Roxas will be endorsed by the President as LP’s standard bearer at 9 am on Friday. 7 hours ago |
  • QCPD Chief Joel Pagdilao named new PNP NCRPO Chief. 7 hours ago |
  • Sen. Chiz Escudero to decide in September on whether or not he will run for the vice presidency in 2016. 7 hours ago |
  • Prosecution blocks Sen. Jinggoy Estrada’s plea for a medical check up at Cardinal Santos Medical Center in San Juan. 7 hours ago |
  • LP Sec. Gen. Mel Sarmiento says Pres. Aquino will endorse Roxas as LP’s standard bearer on Friday, July 31 at Club Filipino. 7 hours ago |
  • Marquez saddened by CHR's seeming lack of interest in suing protesters who attacked 2 cops during SONA. 10 hours ago |
  • Sen. Grace Poe sees no need to resign from Senate cmte. chairmanships as she considers a possible presidential bid. 10 hours ago |
  • Manila Mayor Estrada plans to seal a joint venture with a private company to operate Manila Zoo. 10 hours ago |
  • Manila Mayor Joseph Estrada defends the joint venture with private firm to renovate Quinta market. 10 hours ago |
  • 14 injured as a bus falls off a ravine in San Narciso, Quezon. 10 hours ago |
  • DOJ team in Jakarta to talk with Mary Jane Veloso to strengthen case against her recruiter. 10 hours ago |
  • 8-man DOJ team arrives in Jakarta to talk with Indonesian authoroties about Mary Jane Veloso's case. 11 hours ago |
  • Coloma says Pres. Aquino already delivered a nationwide address for SAF 44 in February 6 this year. 15 hours ago |
  • DSWD says no politician seeking election must lay claim to PPP program because it is a national gov't project. 15 hours ago |
  • Marquez tells PNP Directorate for Operations to speed up the completion of 'Oplan Lambat-Sibat' manual aimed at fighting crimes. 15 hours ago |
  • Lacson says nothing will happen to Yolanda rehab. program if DBM won't release P 80B from Nat'l Treasury this year. 15 hours ago |
  • Lacson to question before SC in 2 weeks' time the P 424-billion lump sum in 2015 national budget. 15 hours ago |
  • Coloma says Pres. Aquino had already mentioned SAF 44 during PMA graduation in Baguio City last March. 15 hours ago |
  • Coloma insists Pres. Aquino has not forgotten the massacre of SAF 44. 15 hours ago |
  • Sr. Insp. Ryan Pabalinas' wife Erica says Pres. Aquino seems to have abandoned the quest for justice for SAF 44. 15 hours ago |
  • 'SAF 44' Sr. Insp. Ryan Pabalinas' wife Erica says Pres. Aquino could have at least thanked SAF 44 during SONA. 15 hours ago |
  • 'SAF 44' Sr. Insp. Ryan Pabalinas' wife Erica laments that Pres. Aquino forgot about SAF 44 in his SONA. 16 hours ago |
Advertisement

Photo of PNoy with Napoles’ daughter authentic — Palace

By Joyce Pangco Panares | Sep. 12, 2013 at 12:09am
Malacanang on Wednesday confirmed that President Benigno Aquino III had his photograph taken with Jeane Napoles, daughter of alleged pork barrel scam mastermind Janet Lim-Napoles, which has gone viral.

Deputy presidential spokeswoman Abigail Valte said the photo was taken in Cebu City on Nov. 30 last year during the National Thanksgiving Mass for the canonization of Pedro Calungsod.

Photo ops. After President Aquino denied knowing suspected pork barrel scam mastermind Janet Napoles, a picture of him with Napoles’ equally controversial daughter Jeane, known for a purportedly lavish lifestyle  in the United States, emerged on Wednesday. The photo shown is a television grab from ABS-CBN. The Palace confirmed the photo was real, but said it was just a photo opportunity for the public in Cebu last year. Only the other day, Senate President Franklin Drilon also came under fire for yet another “photo op” with Napoles herself. Photo ops. After President Aquino denied knowing suspected pork barrel scam mastermind Janet Napoles, a picture of him with Napoles’ equally controversial daughter Jeane, known for a purportedly lavish lifestyle in the United States, emerged on Wednesday. The photo shown is a television grab from ABS-CBN. The Palace confirmed the photo was real, but said it was just a photo opportunity for the public in Cebu last year. Only the other day, Senate President Franklin Drilon also came under fire for yet another “photo op” with Napoles herself.


Valte said they were not aware of the photo before it was shown in a television program on Tuesday, after which the Palace was able to confirm its authenticity.

“She had her photo taken with the President, as did a dozen other people who lined up to have their photo taken with him. I won’t be surprised because a lot of people ask for their photos to be taken with the President,” Valte said.

“It’s a normal thing to happen. It is not extraordinary.”

Valte made her statement even as Malacañang said the release of the photographs of Senate President Franklin Drilon showing him partying with Janet Lim-Napoles was a deliberate attempt to besmirch the reputation of the administration’s ally.

“I think there’s an attempt to make Senator Drilon guilty by photography,” presidential spokesman Edwin Lacierda said.

“The point is, it’s not so much the pictures that should be the basis for judgment...The basis for evaluation should be...acts that involve taxpayers’ money.”

At the Senate, some staff of Senators Juan Ponce Enrile, Jinggoy Estrada and Ramon Revilla Jr.—the lawmakers linked to the P10-billion pork barrel scam—had reportedly gone on leave.

The Commission on Audit had earlier reported that some senatorial staff had signed documents channeling pork barrel appropriations to bogus non-government organizations allegedly put up by Janet Lim-Napoles.

At the Justice Department, Secretary Leila de Lima on Wednesday bewailed what she said were attempts by some sectors in the Media to preempt the NBI investigation of the pork barrel scam.

She was referring to a newspaper report naming Enrile, Estrada and Revilla as respondents in the plunder case that the NBI was readying against Napoles.

“The [report] is preempting the filing of the charges, which is also adding pressure to the NBI team,” De Lima said.

Aquino on Tuesday was asked if he knew Janet Lim-Napoles personally, and he said he could not remember having seen her in any event when he was a lawmaker.

“When I saw her when she came to the Palace, I was trying to look at her and I don’t remember her,” Aquino said.

“I am normally very good with faces, [but] maybe sometimes I’m poor with names. She doesn’t look familiar whatsoever.” With Macon Ramos-Araneta and Rey E. Requejo
COMMENT DISCLAIMER: Reader comments posted on this Web site are not in any way endorsed by MST.ph. Comments are views by manilastandardtoday.com readers who exercise their right to free expression and they do not necessarily represent or reflect the position or viewpoint of manilastandardtoday.com. While reserving this publication’s right to delete comments that are deemed offensive, indecent or inconsistent with MST.ph editorial standards, MST.ph may not be held liable for any false information posted by readers in this comments section
comments powered by Disqus

Want Updates?

Be the first to know on what is latest from MST.ph, simply enter your email below to get started. We don’t spam dont worry!

Advertisement