News Flash

July 31, 2015, Friday
  • Solgen says Manila City Gov’t violated ordinance when it granted zoning & building permits to Torre de Manila’s builders. 14 hours ago |
  • Solgen Florin Hilbay blames Manila City government for the construction of Torre de Manila. 14 hours ago |
  • Ombudsman perpetually bars Ex-ARMM Gov. Zaldy Ampatuan from holding public office. 14 hours ago |
  • Chief Supt. Edgardo Tinio named new Quezon City Police District Chief. 15 hours ago |
  • Binay says Roxas’ campaign will be backed by government’s machinery. 15 hours ago |
  • Binay says Roxas is not a threat to his presidential bid. 15 hours ago |
  • Fire hits a school in Gingoog City, Misamis Oriental. 15 hours ago |
  • Malacanang says the 2016 national budget has no pork barrel allocation. 15 hours ago |
  • DOJ files case against the importer of trash from Canada. 15 hours ago |
  • Alma Moreno and Princess Jacel Kiram to run under UNA’s senatorial slate. 15 hours ago |
  • Binay says he has yet to complete his UNA senatorial slate. 15 hours ago |
  • Mar Roxas visits graves of Roxases at Manila North Cemetery prior to Aquino’s pres’l endorsement. 15 hours ago |
  • Tolentino thanks gov’t agencies, private sector & media for their participation in metrowide earthquake drill. 20 hours ago |
  • MMDA’s night-time earthquake drill to be held in Pasig City on Thursday. 20 hours ago |
  • MMDA’s metrowide earthquake drill ended at 12:20 noon Thursday. 20 hours ago |
  • MMDA & Makati gov’t give Makati earthquake drill an ‘almost perfect’ 9 out of 10 success rating. 20 hours ago |
  • Marikina 161 Rescuers hope gov’t personnel & people will remember the quake drill in case of an actual tremor. 20 hours ago |
  • NDRRMC Exec. Dir. Alexander Pama notes gov’t agencies’ response to quake drill was very quick. 20 hours ago |
  • MMDA chairman Francis Tolentino declares the metrowide earthquake drill a success. 22 hours ago |
  • Arrest warrant sent to U.S. Embassy for Fil-Am Jonathan Viane who is suspect in a woman’s brutal slay in Olongapo City. 22 hours ago |
  • 133 Filipino soldiers who served as U.N. peacekeepers in Haiti return to the Philippines. 22 hours ago |
  • Sen. Grace Poe not surprised that Pres. Aquino picked Mar Roxas as LP’s standard bearer. 22 hours ago |
  • House Minority Bloc to hold ‘Kontra-SONA’ next week. 22 hours ago |
  • China conducts military drill in South China Sea. 22 hours ago |
  • Agusan del Norte experiences rotational blackouts. 22 hours ago |
  • Camarines Sur Rep. Leni Robredo not ready to run for the vice presidency in 2016. 22 hours ago |
  • MMDA’s earthquake drill all over Metro Manila happens at 10:30 am Thursday. 22 hours ago |
Advertisement

Wealth-sharing tops peace talks agenda

By AFP | Jun. 30, 2013 at 12:01am
Peace talks between the Philippine government and Muslim rebels will resume on July 8 in Kuala Lumpur with the contentious issue of wealth-sharing as the main focus of discussion, an insurgent leader said Friday.

The talks will be held even though they coincide with the Muslim month of Ramadan which may require fasting by Muslim participants, said Ghadzali Jaafar, vice-chairman of the Moro Islamic Liberation Front.

“Because it is so important, both parties decided to hold the talks even on Ramadan,” he told AFP. Ramadan starts of July 9 and the talks will likely last for five days, he added.

Government negotiators could not be contacted for comment. However earlier this month, members of the government peace panel said they hoped to resume talks with the MILF in early July.

The government hopes to kickstart negotiations for a peace settlement that looked to have stalled in recent months.

The negotiations, which began in 1997, aim to create an autonomous region for the Muslim minority in Mindanao, the southern third of the mainly Catholic nation of 100 million.

The two sides signed a preliminary agreement in October outlining the broad terms for a peace treaty that would be signed by 2016, before President Benigno Aquino leaves office.

However, both sides have since acknowledged difficulties in thrashing out the details of key issues like wealth- and power-sharing within the proposed autonomous region, as well as disarming and demobilising the MILF.

The 12,000-member MILF has waged a guerrilla war for a separate Islamic state in the southern Philippines since the 1970s that has claimed an estimated 150,000 lives.

The group has since agreed to a ceasefire to negotiate for autonomy instead. Although sporadic clashes have since taken place, the truce has largely held.

Malaysia has hosted the on-again, off-again peace talks between the MILF and the Philippine government since 2001. It has also deployed troops to head an international peace mission monitoring a truce between the opposing sides.
COMMENT DISCLAIMER: Reader comments posted on this Web site are not in any way endorsed by MST.ph. Comments are views by manilastandardtoday.com readers who exercise their right to free expression and they do not necessarily represent or reflect the position or viewpoint of manilastandardtoday.com. While reserving this publication’s right to delete comments that are deemed offensive, indecent or inconsistent with MST.ph editorial standards, MST.ph may not be held liable for any false information posted by readers in this comments section
comments powered by Disqus

In This Category

Want Updates?

Be the first to know on what is latest from MST.ph, simply enter your email below to get started. We don’t spam dont worry!

Advertisement