News Flash

September 04, 2015, Friday
  • Customs Chief Bert Lina says sorry for the inspection of balikbayan boxes. 2 hours ago |
  • Suspect in the slay of DepEd Asst. Reg’l. Dir. Menguito’s wife & maid is a businessman & Menquito’s own relative. 8 hours ago |
  • Suspect in the killing of DepEd Asst. Reg'l Dir. Menguito’s wife & maid arrested in Merville, Paranaque. 8 hours ago |
  • Wife & maid of DepEd Asst. Reg’l Dir. Ponciano Menguito found dead from multiple stab wounds in their Sta. Ana, Manila home. 8 hours ago |
  • Majority Leader Neptali Gonzales says the House needs to hold 5 sessions/wk. to approve imp’t measures before the Oct. 10 break. 8 hours ago |
  • House of Representives to hold sessions from Monday to Friday beginning next week. 8 hours ago |
  • Mayon volcano now records only one volcanic earthquake a day for the past 6 months. 9 hours ago |
  • Mayon volcano’s status downgraded to Alert Level 1. 9 hours ago |
  • Cotabato Rep. Nancy Catamco denies link to PDAF scam saying she wasn’t even in Congress when the fund was misused. 9 hours ago |
  • Sandiganbayan allows Bacolod City Mayor Monico Puentevella to travel to Thailand amid a PDAF-related graft case. 9 hours ago |
  • Senate grills NTC officials on the proliferation of text scams. 14 hours ago |
  • MMDA and Quezon City Police District conduct clearing operations along Edsa-Balintawak. 14 hours ago |
  • MMDA gives traffic orientation to members of PNP Highway Patrol Group (HPG) who will man EDSA beginning Monday. 14 hours ago |
  • Earthquake drill held in Bulacan. 15 hours ago |
  • 2 PCG officers & a skipper to face criminal raps following the July 2 sinking of M/B Kim Nirvana off Ormoc City. 15 hours ago |
  • DOTC Sec. Jun Abaya checks out the assembly of MRT 3 prototype train at a depot in Pasay City. 15 hours ago |
  • At least 8 inmates bolt Lanao del Norte provincial jail. 15 hours ago |
  • DOJ Sec. De Lima says a prosecutor or a panel of prosecutors will handle the complaints filed vs. 8 INC leaders. 15 hours ago |
  • DOJ says the complaints of illegal detention & harassment filed by Isaias Samson Jr. will go through regular process. 15 hours ago |
  • Driver whose van was fired upon at Katipunan Avenue in Quezon City dies in hospital. 16 hours ago |
  • Abra-Kalinga Road to Nagpaoayan, Baay Licuan in Cordillera partially closed to traffic due to repairs. 16 hours ago |
Advertisement

Poe breaks poll record in Comelec final tally

By Joel E. Zurbano | Jun. 07, 2013 at 12:03am
THE Commission on Elections released on Wednesday the final tally of the votes for the senatorial elections with former censors board head Grace Poe-Llamanzares receiving the biggest number of votes cast for a single candidate in Philippine history.

In a resolution signed by all seven its commissioners, the Comelec said Poe received 20,337,327 votes, breaking the record previously held by incumbent Senator Ramon Revilla Jr. who topped the 2010 senatorial race with 19,513,521 votes.

There were no changes in the ranking of the 12 candidates who will fill the 12 looming vacancies in the Senate.

Poe was followed by incumbent Senators Loren Legarda (18,661,196), Alan Peter Cayetano (17,580,813) and Francis Escudero (17,502,358), while Nancy Binay, daughter of Vice President Jejomar Binay, was at 5th place with 16,812,148 votes.

The other winners for senator are Aurora Rep. Juan Edgardo “Sonny” Angara (16,005,564), Paulo Benigno “Bam” Aquino IV (15,534,465), Senator Aquilino Martin “Koko” Pimentel III (14,725,114), Senator Antonio “Sonny” Trillanes IV (14,127,722), Las Pinas Rep. Cynthia Villar (13,822,854), San Juan Rep Joseph Victor “JV” Ejercito (13,684,736) and Senator Gregorio “Gringo” Honasan (13,211,424).

Honasan, who took 12th spot, widened his lead over former senator Richard Gordon, who got 12,501,991.

The Comelec’s final tally of votes cast validated the ranking of the winning candidates who were proclaimed last month.

The tally showed that nine senatorial bets from Team Pnoy, led by Poe, entered the top 12 while three from UNA, led by Binay, made it into the Magic 12.

The Comelec proclaimed the winners based on the grouped canvass reports to determine who made it to the top 12. The report, which is forwarded to the Comelec through fax, contains votes gathered so far by candidates in all positions and the number of registered voters.

Election officials said only 33 of the 84 who filed their certificates of candidacy were allowed to run for senator this year, as compared to the 61 who were qualified in the 2010 elections.

Meanwhile, the Comelec also announced that it may still use the controversial vote count machines of its contractor Smartmatic in the October 28 village and youth council polls.

The Comelec has started preparing for the next polls this year with the appointment of election director Bartolome Sino Cruz as head of the Project Management Office for the Barangay and Sangguniang Kabataan elections, according to Comelec Chairman Sixto Brilliantes.
COMMENT DISCLAIMER: Reader comments posted on this Web site are not in any way endorsed by MST.ph. Comments are views by manilastandardtoday.com readers who exercise their right to free expression and they do not necessarily represent or reflect the position or viewpoint of manilastandardtoday.com. While reserving this publication’s right to delete comments that are deemed offensive, indecent or inconsistent with MST.ph editorial standards, MST.ph may not be held liable for any false information posted by readers in this comments section
comments powered by Disqus

In This Category

Want Updates?

Be the first to know on what is latest from MST.ph, simply enter your email below to get started. We don’t spam dont worry!

Advertisement