News Flash

July 30, 2015, Thursday
  • Caloocan Rep. Edgar Erice says a wider consultation will be held on who will run as Mar Roxas’ running mate. 7 hours ago |
  • Erice says LP members who are congressmen, governors & local gov’t ofcls. will endorse Roxas as pres’l bet in a separate event next week. 7 hours ago |
  • LP congressman Erice confirms Roxas will be endorsed by the President as LP’s standard bearer at 9 am on Friday. 7 hours ago |
  • QCPD Chief Joel Pagdilao named new PNP NCRPO Chief. 7 hours ago |
  • Sen. Chiz Escudero to decide in September on whether or not he will run for the vice presidency in 2016. 7 hours ago |
  • Prosecution blocks Sen. Jinggoy Estrada’s plea for a medical check up at Cardinal Santos Medical Center in San Juan. 7 hours ago |
  • LP Sec. Gen. Mel Sarmiento says Pres. Aquino will endorse Roxas as LP’s standard bearer on Friday, July 31 at Club Filipino. 7 hours ago |
  • Marquez saddened by CHR's seeming lack of interest in suing protesters who attacked 2 cops during SONA. 10 hours ago |
  • Sen. Grace Poe sees no need to resign from Senate cmte. chairmanships as she considers a possible presidential bid. 10 hours ago |
  • Manila Mayor Estrada plans to seal a joint venture with a private company to operate Manila Zoo. 10 hours ago |
  • Manila Mayor Joseph Estrada defends the joint venture with private firm to renovate Quinta market. 10 hours ago |
  • 14 injured as a bus falls off a ravine in San Narciso, Quezon. 10 hours ago |
  • DOJ team in Jakarta to talk with Mary Jane Veloso to strengthen case against her recruiter. 10 hours ago |
  • 8-man DOJ team arrives in Jakarta to talk with Indonesian authoroties about Mary Jane Veloso's case. 11 hours ago |
  • Coloma says Pres. Aquino already delivered a nationwide address for SAF 44 in February 6 this year. 15 hours ago |
  • DSWD says no politician seeking election must lay claim to PPP program because it is a national gov't project. 15 hours ago |
  • Marquez tells PNP Directorate for Operations to speed up the completion of 'Oplan Lambat-Sibat' manual aimed at fighting crimes. 15 hours ago |
  • Lacson says nothing will happen to Yolanda rehab. program if DBM won't release P 80B from Nat'l Treasury this year. 15 hours ago |
  • Lacson to question before SC in 2 weeks' time the P 424-billion lump sum in 2015 national budget. 15 hours ago |
  • Coloma says Pres. Aquino had already mentioned SAF 44 during PMA graduation in Baguio City last March. 15 hours ago |
  • Coloma insists Pres. Aquino has not forgotten the massacre of SAF 44. 15 hours ago |
  • Sr. Insp. Ryan Pabalinas' wife Erica says Pres. Aquino seems to have abandoned the quest for justice for SAF 44. 15 hours ago |
  • 'SAF 44' Sr. Insp. Ryan Pabalinas' wife Erica says Pres. Aquino could have at least thanked SAF 44 during SONA. 15 hours ago |
  • 'SAF 44' Sr. Insp. Ryan Pabalinas' wife Erica laments that Pres. Aquino forgot about SAF 44 in his SONA. 16 hours ago |
Advertisement

NPA ‘TAXMEN’ FALL

By Francisco Tuyay | Apr. 28, 2013 at 12:01am
11 nabbed  soliciting permit fees in Bulacan

Hours after the government dropped formal negotiations with communist rebels, 11 suspected New People’s Army guerrillas were arrested late Friday for extorting money from a politician in a remote village in Bulacan, security forces said on Saturday.

The rebels, believed to be “revolutionary tax” collectors of the communist movement, were all residents of Bulacan and were supposedly distributing letters that candidates for the local and congressional elections next month pay fees for “permits to campaign.”

Maj. Emmanuel Garcia, spokesman of the Army’s 56th Infantry Battalion, said government troops arrested the rebels at the boundary of Sitios Mahangin and Sapang in Barangay Kabayunan, Dona Remedios Trinidad town.

Garcia said they were in possession of two M-14 and three M-16 assault rifles, three caliber .45 pistols, four hand grenades and one shotgun plus subversive propaganda materials and medical supplies.

Military spokesman Col. Arnulfo Burgos Jr. said troops of the 56IB were able to capture the rebels based on information provided by residents that armed 30 insurgents were distributing open letters addressed to local candidates to pay for their “permits to campaign.”

Burgos said the rebels were also exacting two high-powered firearms from a local candidate in Bulacan, but the military declined to identify the politician.

After getting the tip, 56IB commander Lt. Col. Bernardo Ona created a task force in coordination with the police and they swooped down on an NPA encampment in the remote village and caught they rebels unaware while they were cleaning their guns.

The rebels, Garcia said, were not able to respond to the surprise attack, but several members of the rebel unit were able to escape. The ones who were arrested were brought to the Bulacan provincial police headquarters for inquest proceedings.

The arrested rebels were identified as Rodolfo Cruz, 65, resident of barangay Bigte, Norzagaray town; Rico Vicene, 43, a resident of San Jose del Monte City; Cyrhyl dela Cruz,19, resident of barangay Tibagan, Jayson Valmadrid, 25, a resident of barangay San Juan, Randy Puno, 33, Josefino Lupanco, 34, Angel Cabrera, 48; Alberto dela Cruz, 24, all of barangay Salangan, San Miguel town; Graciano dela Cruz, Billy Asuncion and William Asuncion.

Bulacan provincial police director Chief Supt. Joel Orduna said charges of illegal possession of firearms, violation of the election gun ban and the Human Security Act will filed against the arrested communist rebels.

The military had intensified its anti-insurgency operations in the wake of increased rebel activities across the country, including the ambush on Guingoog Mayor Ruth Guingona in Misamis Oriental that left two of her aides dead.

The NPA had also launched separate attacks in Occidental Mindoro on Friday, triggering a gunfight that resulted in the injury of three government troops.

The military also noted an increase in the extortion activities of the communist rebels and demanded that candidates in the congressional and local elections pay fees for “permits to campaign.” The fees could reach P100,000 depending on the position the candidate is seeking.

The arrest came after the government said it would stop negotiating with communist rebels, but would consider a new approach to end the communist rebellion that has lasted for more than four decades.

“The government doesn’t want to return to the regular track [formal talks] because it has been going nowhere for the past 27 years,” government negotiator Alexander Padilla said, but declined to give details about the “new approach.”

Padilla said the “mounting violence inflicted by the New People’s Army on civilians has eroded what little trust has been built over the years of trying to hammer out a peace agreement with the rebels.”

The talks between the government and the communist-led National Democratic Front were held in Norway for more than 20 years. The Norwegian government served as third-party facilitator.

Padilla said the  government scuttled the peace talks because the NDF “always comes up with new and unreasonable demands … and we cannot wait forever for the other side if they continually refuse to go back to the negotiating table without preconditions.”

“We have always been open to resuming formal negotiations with them, but they keep on insisting on preconditions such as the release of their detained consultants,” Padilla said.

He said other than asking for the release of their consultants from military detention, the NDF was also demanding that the government abolish its programs like the Conditional Cash Transfer, which provides cash  to indigents.

“These demands are just preposterous. We don’t want to engage in a negotiation where the other party is clearly fooling us,” Padilla said. “The ball is now in their hands. They were the ones who initiated the special track and they were the ones who ended it.” With Jess Malabanan
COMMENT DISCLAIMER: Reader comments posted on this Web site are not in any way endorsed by MST.ph. Comments are views by manilastandardtoday.com readers who exercise their right to free expression and they do not necessarily represent or reflect the position or viewpoint of manilastandardtoday.com. While reserving this publication’s right to delete comments that are deemed offensive, indecent or inconsistent with MST.ph editorial standards, MST.ph may not be held liable for any false information posted by readers in this comments section
comments powered by Disqus

Want Updates?

Be the first to know on what is latest from MST.ph, simply enter your email below to get started. We don’t spam dont worry!

Advertisement