News Flash

July 29, 2015, Wednesday
  • Coloma says Pres. Aquino already delivered a nationwide address for SAF 44 in February 6 this year. 2 hours ago |
  • DSWD says no politician seeking election must lay claim to PPP program because it is a national gov't project. 2 hours ago |
  • Marquez tells PNP Directorate for Operations to speed up the completion of 'Oplan Lambat-Sibat' manual aimed at fighting crimes. 2 hours ago |
  • Lacson says nothing will happen to Yolanda rehab. program if DBM won't release P 80B from Nat'l Treasury this year. 2 hours ago |
  • Lacson to question before SC in 2 weeks' time the P 424-billion lump sum in 2015 national budget. 2 hours ago |
  • Coloma says Pres. Aquino had already mentioned SAF 44 during PMA graduation in Baguio City last March. 2 hours ago |
  • Coloma insists Pres. Aquino has not forgotten the massacre of SAF 44. 2 hours ago |
  • Sr. Insp. Ryan Pabalinas' wife Erica says Pres. Aquino seems to have abandoned the quest for justice for SAF 44. 2 hours ago |
  • 'SAF 44' Sr. Insp. Ryan Pabalinas' wife Erica says Pres. Aquino could have at least thanked SAF 44 during SONA. 2 hours ago |
  • 'SAF 44' Sr. Insp. Ryan Pabalinas' wife Erica laments that Pres. Aquino forgot about SAF 44 in his SONA. 3 hours ago |
  • Bayan Muna Party-list Rep. Neri Colmenares urges Pres. Aquino to certify as urgent the Anti-Dynasty Bill. 18 hours ago |
  • Kabataan party-list Rep. Terry Ridon says Makabayan bloc stands by its actions during Pres. Aquino's SONA. 18 hours ago |
  • QC Rep. Winston Castelo says the House Ethics Cmte. should probe Makabayan bloc’s ‘unparliamentary behavior’ in session hall during SONA. 18 hours ago |
  • MMDA to hold metrowide earthquake drill on Thursday beginning at 10 am. 18 hours ago |
  • Abad says the P 3-trillion nat’l budget for 2016 is P 394-billion or P15% higher than the 2015 budget of P 2.6-trillion. 19 hours ago |
  • House Appropriations Cmte. Chairman Isidro Ungab says his committee will begin the budget hearings on August 10. 19 hours ago |
  • Budget Sec. Florencio Abad submits to the House of Representatives the proposed national budget of P 3-trillion for 2016. 19 hours ago |
Advertisement

US Navy execs told to answer reef cases

By Rey E. Requejo | Apr. 24, 2013 at 12:02am
The Supreme Court has approved a petition for a writ filed by a multi-sectoral group seeking higher penalties against and the criminal prosecution of the US Navy officers aboard a minesweeper that ran aground on the Tubbataha Reef on Jan. 17.

The writ, however, is procedural in nature and does not have the effect of a temporary restraining order. It only ordered the respondents in the case to answer the petition within 10 days of receiving it.

The high court also did not immediately issue a temporary environment protection order that was being sought by the petitioners on the UNESCO world heritage site.

But the Court remanded the case to the Court of Appeals “for hearing, reception of evidence and rendition of judgment.”

The respondents in the case are Scott Swift in his capacity as commander of the US 7th Fleet; Mark Rice, the commanding officer of the minesweeper USS Guardian, the government officials led by President Benigno Aquino III, the military and the members of the Cabinet.

The USS Guardian damaged about 2,000 square meters of the Tubbataha Reef when it ran aground after its officers ignored the warnings of the reef’s minders that they were entering a protected site.

The ship was then removed piece by piece, and its last section was taken out on March 29. Its officers were relieved a few days later.

The petitioners in the case are seeking a fine against the United States that is 12 times the initial estimate of the Philippine government.

They say the just compensation for the damage to the Tubbataha Reef is between $16.8 million and $27 million and not $1.4 million, citing the $15 million that the US Navy paid to the state of Hawaii after the USS Port Royal went aground in 2009 and damaged a reef in Oahu, which is bigger but not a World Heritage Site like the Tubbataha. They say the Tubbataha’s biodiversity concentration is 2.3 times more than the Oahu reef’s.

The petitioners also want to prosecute the respondents in the case, saying the US Navy cannot invoke immunity under the Visiting Forces Agreement. They also want the Supreme Court to stop the military exercises between the Philippine and US forces.

The petitioners in the case include Bishop Pedro Arigo of Puerto Princesa, Bishop Deogracias Iniguez Jr. of Caloocan, Frances Quimpo, the group Kalikasan Bagong Alyansang Makabayan,  Bayan Muna and the Kilusang Mayo Uno.
COMMENT DISCLAIMER: Reader comments posted on this Web site are not in any way endorsed by MST.ph. Comments are views by manilastandardtoday.com readers who exercise their right to free expression and they do not necessarily represent or reflect the position or viewpoint of manilastandardtoday.com. While reserving this publication’s right to delete comments that are deemed offensive, indecent or inconsistent with MST.ph editorial standards, MST.ph may not be held liable for any false information posted by readers in this comments section
comments powered by Disqus

In This Category

Want Updates?

Be the first to know on what is latest from MST.ph, simply enter your email below to get started. We don’t spam dont worry!

Advertisement