News Flash

July 30, 2015, Thursday
  • Solgen says Manila City Gov’t violated ordinance when it granted zoning & building permits to Torre de Manila’s builders. 3 hours ago |
  • Solgen Florin Hilbay blames Manila City government for the construction of Torre de Manila. 3 hours ago |
  • Ombudsman perpetually bars Ex-ARMM Gov. Zaldy Ampatuan from holding public office. 4 hours ago |
  • Chief Supt. Edgardo Tinio named new Quezon City Police District Chief. 4 hours ago |
  • Binay says Roxas’ campaign will be backed by government’s machinery. 4 hours ago |
  • Binay says Roxas is not a threat to his presidential bid. 4 hours ago |
  • Fire hits a school in Gingoog City, Misamis Oriental. 4 hours ago |
  • Malacanang says the 2016 national budget has no pork barrel allocation. 4 hours ago |
  • DOJ files case against the importer of trash from Canada. 4 hours ago |
  • Alma Moreno and Princess Jacel Kiram to run under UNA’s senatorial slate. 4 hours ago |
  • Binay says he has yet to complete his UNA senatorial slate. 4 hours ago |
  • Mar Roxas visits graves of Roxases at Manila North Cemetery prior to Aquino’s pres’l endorsement. 4 hours ago |
  • Tolentino thanks gov’t agencies, private sector & media for their participation in metrowide earthquake drill. 9 hours ago |
  • MMDA’s night-time earthquake drill to be held in Pasig City on Thursday. 9 hours ago |
  • MMDA’s metrowide earthquake drill ended at 12:20 noon Thursday. 9 hours ago |
  • MMDA & Makati gov’t give Makati earthquake drill an ‘almost perfect’ 9 out of 10 success rating. 9 hours ago |
  • Marikina 161 Rescuers hope gov’t personnel & people will remember the quake drill in case of an actual tremor. 9 hours ago |
  • NDRRMC Exec. Dir. Alexander Pama notes gov’t agencies’ response to quake drill was very quick. 9 hours ago |
  • MMDA chairman Francis Tolentino declares the metrowide earthquake drill a success. 11 hours ago |
  • Arrest warrant sent to U.S. Embassy for Fil-Am Jonathan Viane who is suspect in a woman’s brutal slay in Olongapo City. 11 hours ago |
  • 133 Filipino soldiers who served as U.N. peacekeepers in Haiti return to the Philippines. 11 hours ago |
  • Sen. Grace Poe not surprised that Pres. Aquino picked Mar Roxas as LP’s standard bearer. 11 hours ago |
  • House Minority Bloc to hold ‘Kontra-SONA’ next week. 11 hours ago |
  • China conducts military drill in South China Sea. 11 hours ago |
  • Agusan del Norte experiences rotational blackouts. 11 hours ago |
  • Camarines Sur Rep. Leni Robredo not ready to run for the vice presidency in 2016. 11 hours ago |
  • MMDA’s earthquake drill all over Metro Manila happens at 10:30 am Thursday. 11 hours ago |
Advertisement

Sulu forces won’t spoil Malaysia polls

By Ferdinand Fabella | Apr. 23, 2013 at 12:02am
The Sulu Sultanate claimed on Monday that it deployed 1,000 more fighters to augment its remaining 400 troops in Sabah, but at the same time made the assurance that the Sultanate’s troops had been ordered not to disrupt Malaysia’s parliamentary elections to be held on May 5.

The reinforcement, which mostly came from Sulu, Basilan and Tawi-Tawi, slipped into Sabah despite the tight naval blockade being enforced by Malaysian and Philippine authorities.

Abraham Idjirani, spokesman of Sulu Sultan Jamalul Kiram III, said the reinforcement will join the remaining 400-strong men under the command of Raja Muda Agbimuddin Kiram, the younger brother of Sulu Sultan Jamalul Kiram III.

Idjirani, however, said the reinforcement has yet to make contact with Agbimuddin and added that operational plans will only be finalized once Agbimuddin has gotten in touch with the new arrivals.

“Raja Muda said he was informed by a sympathizer that a group of 1,000 men, all armed, have landed in Sabah in separate groups. This is a big help to the RSF in order to contain the Malaysian security forces in the area,” Idjirani said.

But instead of joining the 400-strong RSF now holed up in Lahad Datu, Idjirani said the reinforcement would break up into separate into groups and launch hit-and-run campaigns against the Malaysian forces.

When asked if the fighters were from the Moro National Liberation Front, Idjirani said Agbimuddin would make the confirmation once he makes contact with the group.

“We don’t know if they are MNLF but most of the fighters that arrive in Sabah usually change their identities. They’re no longer MNLF or MILF,” the sultanate spokesman said.

Idjirani said more “reinforcements” will sail to Sabah in the coming weeks, indicating that the armed conflict in Sabah is far from over as claimed by the Malaysian government.

The reported arrival of new reinforcements came even as Malaysian security forces have tightened security in Sabah to prevent more armed men from Mindanao to penetrate the disputed state as Malaysian election nears.

In an article in Bernama, Malaysia’s state-run news agency, Defense Minister Datu Seri Ahmad Zahid Hamidi said the Malaysian Armed Forces and police are monitoring the Eastern Sabah Security Zone to deter possible new “waves” of intruders.

Zahid also said the police and military will be present in voting district centers in Lahad Datu to ensure voters’ safety.
COMMENT DISCLAIMER: Reader comments posted on this Web site are not in any way endorsed by MST.ph. Comments are views by manilastandardtoday.com readers who exercise their right to free expression and they do not necessarily represent or reflect the position or viewpoint of manilastandardtoday.com. While reserving this publication’s right to delete comments that are deemed offensive, indecent or inconsistent with MST.ph editorial standards, MST.ph may not be held liable for any false information posted by readers in this comments section
comments powered by Disqus

Want Updates?

Be the first to know on what is latest from MST.ph, simply enter your email below to get started. We don’t spam dont worry!

Advertisement