News Flash

September 04, 2015, Friday
  • Coloma says President Aquino still trusts Customs Commissioner Bert Lina. about 1 hour ago |
  • 2 rebels arrested following an encounter between soldiers & NPAs in Camarines Sur. about 1 hour ago |
  • DOTC says drivers in Metro Manila should refrain from committing traffic violations such as swerving & counter-flowing. about 1 hour ago |
  • DOTC attributes heavy traffic congestion in Metro Manila to motorists' lack of discipline. about 1 hour ago |
  • Complainant Gerry Dionisio says Jose Maria Abaya had fired upon his Kia pick-up along TPLEX in June this year. about 1 hour ago |
  • Another previous victim of White Plains shooting suspect Jose Maria Abaya surfaces. about 1 hour ago |
  • DPWH to reclaim 1.5 meter of sidewalk along Edsa currently being occupied by illegal vendors. about 1 hour ago |
  • DPWH to set up yellow delineators from Edsa-Munoz to Edsa-Roxas Blvd. to separate lanes for public & private vehicles. about 1 hour ago |
  • Death toll in accident on Wednesday involving a 10-wheeler truck in Barangka, Marikina rises to 3. 2 hours ago |
  • Customs Chief Bert Lina says sorry for the inspection of balikbayan boxes. 11 hours ago |
  • Suspect in the slay of DepEd Asst. Reg’l. Dir. Menguito’s wife & maid is a businessman & Menquito’s own relative. 17 hours ago |
  • Suspect in the killing of DepEd Asst. Reg'l Dir. Menguito’s wife & maid arrested in Merville, Paranaque. 17 hours ago |
  • Wife & maid of DepEd Asst. Reg’l Dir. Ponciano Menguito found dead from multiple stab wounds in their Sta. Ana, Manila home. 17 hours ago |
  • Majority Leader Neptali Gonzales says the House needs to hold 5 sessions/wk. to approve imp’t measures before the Oct. 10 break. 17 hours ago |
  • House of Representives to hold sessions from Monday to Friday beginning next week. 17 hours ago |
  • Mayon volcano now records only one volcanic earthquake a day for the past 6 months. 17 hours ago |
  • Mayon volcano’s status downgraded to Alert Level 1. 17 hours ago |
  • Cotabato Rep. Nancy Catamco denies link to PDAF scam saying she wasn’t even in Congress when the fund was misused. 17 hours ago |
  • Sandiganbayan allows Bacolod City Mayor Monico Puentevella to travel to Thailand amid a PDAF-related graft case. 17 hours ago |
  • Senate grills NTC officials on the proliferation of text scams. 22 hours ago |
  • MMDA and Quezon City Police District conduct clearing operations along Edsa-Balintawak. 22 hours ago |
  • MMDA gives traffic orientation to members of PNP Highway Patrol Group (HPG) who will man EDSA beginning Monday. 22 hours ago |
Advertisement

Pacquiao still busy fighting other battles out of the ring

By Eddie Alinea | Mar. 24, 2013 at 12:01am
Manny Pacquiao


MANNY Pacquiao—to his fans, Filipinos and foreigners alike - is more than an athlete. The Pacman is mythic. An idol. Charisma is the only word to describe the Filipino icon’s hold on the sports’ fans imaginations, on the boxing public’s.

But while fans want him back in the ring Pacquiao is engrossed fighting other battles.

“I am very busy with the campaign for Jinkee (his wife who is running for Vice Governor of Sarangani) and Roel (his brother Rogelio who is seeking the lone Congressional seat in General Santos City). I believe the campaign is going well for both of them,” he said.

Something the fans probably won’t begrude him, as of the moment, Pacquiao said he is busy spending time with his family, a chance that rarely came since rising to world prominence.

Boxing is awash with Pacquiao stories. Even after he lost to Mexican arch-rival Juan Manuel Marquez late last year, articles of sympathy filled the sports pages, the air and social media as to when he is fighting next, who and where.

The feeling is mutual. Pacquiao, too, thinks of the fans – both believers and haters, who have been at a loss as to what is in store next to their idols, except for statements coming from his seemingly disoriented spokespersons, handlers and plain kibitzers.

In a long distance telephone conversation with this reporter, the 34-year-old father of four told boxing denizens their wait won’t be long as talks about his next ring appearance is nearing.

“Tell them to be patient. Bob Arum and myself have been talking and will continue talking. What is definite is they’ll see me fight again come September. Not April nor immediately after that as speculations are going. Tell the public that it won’t be long before I make them happy again when I fight,” he said.

“Tell them, too, that I appreciate very much their concern over my well-being when I lost by KO to Marquez and during the debate whether to fight in April.  I treasure their concern and prayers that I recover quickly from my knockout loss. I want everyone to know that I am well and fully recovered. Thank you very much for everyone’s prayers.”

As to who will his next dance partner is, Pacman wouldn’t tell except to say that Marquez looks to be the first choice by his promoter owing to the fifth fight’s commercial value.

“Marquez, according to news reports, doesn’t want to fight me for the fifth time. It actually is up to him,” he said. “Me? Well, everybody knows I’ll fight anyone. I am not scared of anybody. And that is the reason why boxing fans like me so much. I never avoid anyone. I don’t choose easy fights. I will fight anybody, anytime, anywhere.”

Pacquiao said he believes he has already cemented his legacy in boxing, in particular, and in sports, in general. He is the only man on earth to have won eight world titles in as many weight divisions, a record many believe will stay till the end of this millennium.

“If he doesn’t want to fight me then I don’t want to fight him either. So be it. It’s that simple. He says he doesn’t want to fight me because he won our last fight? Well, I am still ahead in the tally of our last four fights. I won two, lost one and dres one,” said Pacquiao.
COMMENT DISCLAIMER: Reader comments posted on this Web site are not in any way endorsed by MST.ph. Comments are views by manilastandardtoday.com readers who exercise their right to free expression and they do not necessarily represent or reflect the position or viewpoint of manilastandardtoday.com. While reserving this publication’s right to delete comments that are deemed offensive, indecent or inconsistent with MST.ph editorial standards, MST.ph may not be held liable for any false information posted by readers in this comments section
comments powered by Disqus

Want Updates?

Be the first to know on what is latest from MST.ph, simply enter your email below to get started. We don’t spam dont worry!

Advertisement