News Flash

July 30, 2015, Thursday
  • Caloocan Rep. Edgar Erice says a wider consultation will be held on who will run as Mar Roxas’ running mate. 13 hours ago |
  • Erice says LP members who are congressmen, governors & local gov’t ofcls. will endorse Roxas as pres’l bet in a separate event next week. 13 hours ago |
  • LP congressman Erice confirms Roxas will be endorsed by the President as LP’s standard bearer at 9 am on Friday. 13 hours ago |
  • QCPD Chief Joel Pagdilao named new PNP NCRPO Chief. 13 hours ago |
  • Sen. Chiz Escudero to decide in September on whether or not he will run for the vice presidency in 2016. 13 hours ago |
  • Prosecution blocks Sen. Jinggoy Estrada’s plea for a medical check up at Cardinal Santos Medical Center in San Juan. 13 hours ago |
  • LP Sec. Gen. Mel Sarmiento says Pres. Aquino will endorse Roxas as LP’s standard bearer on Friday, July 31 at Club Filipino. 13 hours ago |
  • Marquez saddened by CHR's seeming lack of interest in suing protesters who attacked 2 cops during SONA. 16 hours ago |
  • Sen. Grace Poe sees no need to resign from Senate cmte. chairmanships as she considers a possible presidential bid. 16 hours ago |
  • Manila Mayor Estrada plans to seal a joint venture with a private company to operate Manila Zoo. 16 hours ago |
  • Manila Mayor Joseph Estrada defends the joint venture with private firm to renovate Quinta market. 17 hours ago |
  • 14 injured as a bus falls off a ravine in San Narciso, Quezon. 17 hours ago |
  • DOJ team in Jakarta to talk with Mary Jane Veloso to strengthen case against her recruiter. 17 hours ago |
  • 8-man DOJ team arrives in Jakarta to talk with Indonesian authoroties about Mary Jane Veloso's case. 17 hours ago |
  • Coloma says Pres. Aquino already delivered a nationwide address for SAF 44 in February 6 this year. 21 hours ago |
  • DSWD says no politician seeking election must lay claim to PPP program because it is a national gov't project. 21 hours ago |
  • Marquez tells PNP Directorate for Operations to speed up the completion of 'Oplan Lambat-Sibat' manual aimed at fighting crimes. 21 hours ago |
  • Lacson says nothing will happen to Yolanda rehab. program if DBM won't release P 80B from Nat'l Treasury this year. 21 hours ago |
  • Lacson to question before SC in 2 weeks' time the P 424-billion lump sum in 2015 national budget. 21 hours ago |
  • Coloma says Pres. Aquino had already mentioned SAF 44 during PMA graduation in Baguio City last March. 21 hours ago |
  • Coloma insists Pres. Aquino has not forgotten the massacre of SAF 44. 21 hours ago |
  • Sr. Insp. Ryan Pabalinas' wife Erica says Pres. Aquino seems to have abandoned the quest for justice for SAF 44. 21 hours ago |
  • 'SAF 44' Sr. Insp. Ryan Pabalinas' wife Erica says Pres. Aquino could have at least thanked SAF 44 during SONA. 21 hours ago |
  • 'SAF 44' Sr. Insp. Ryan Pabalinas' wife Erica laments that Pres. Aquino forgot about SAF 44 in his SONA. 22 hours ago |
Advertisement

Mishandling the Sabah issue

By Emil Jurado | Mar. 05, 2013 at 12:01am
There appears to be a consensus among analysts and observers of the Sabah dispute after followers of Sulu Sultan Jamalul Kiram III occupied a village called Lahad Datu in Sabah and after some have died in firefight.  The Aquino administration indeed committed a series of blunders.

Let’s rewind a bit. The sultan felt snubbed in the signing of the Bangsamoro Framework Agreement, which the administration touted as the key to achieving peace in Mindanao.  In fact the Sultan claimed he had sent not one but three letters to Malacañang where he expressed his desire to be consulted on the peace issue. President Aquino said the letters must have been lost in the bureaucratic maze.

What a lame excuse. Executive Secretary Paquito Ochoa serves as some kind of a Grand Central Station where all letters to the President pass through. Palace insiders however say that Ochoa indeed received the letters but he passed them through Presidential Adviser on the Peace Process Teresita Deles.  I cannot confirm this, but I am told that Deles decided not to let the President know about it.  She kept the letter, believing it would have no impact on the peace process.

Mr. Aquino reportedly berated Deles when he learned about what happened.  A bureaucrat with delicadeza would have resigned – Deles obviously does not have it.

Thus the Sultan, perhaps thinking that it occupying a village in Sabah is the only way for the government to acknowledge its rights, decided to send 200 of his followers to the disputed territory. There are 800,000 Filipino Muslims who have, legally or otherwise, made Sabah their home.

Instead of being sensitive to the Sultan’s claim and to the plight of Filipinos in Sabah who were being threatened by Malaysian police, President Aquino went on television, flanked by Justice Secretary Leila de Lima and Interior and Local Government Secretary Mar Roxas, warning Kiram that he and his men could face charges for constitutional violations. He told them to come home.

But the Sultan says Sabah is home.

Don’t threaten Tausogs with arrest or criminal charges.  They are very proud, like Maguindanaoans and Maranaws.

The stance taken by Malacañang made it look like it was siding with Malaysia.

Who are advising President Aquino? It looks like he was not aware of the implications of events. Analysts say the issue is not just legal.

What is the bottom line of the dispute? Historic and documentary evidence of ownership by the Sulu Sultanate over Sabah is clear and unmistakable. This is why Malaysia refuses to bring the matter to the International Court of Justice, or the United Nations.

In 1704, the Sultan of Brunei sought support from the Sultan of Sulu to quell a rebellion in Brunei. In gratitude, the Sultan of Brunei gave North Borneo, as Sabah was called then, to the Sultan of Sulu. In 1874 or 174 years later, Baron Von de Overbeck leased North Borneo from the Sultan of  Sulu for 5,300 Mexican pieces of gold a year. Overbeck created the British North Borneo Co., a chartered company by Great Britain. After the death of Sultan Jamalul Kiram in 1936, the British company stopped the leased payments, but a Session Court in North Borneo ordered resumption of payment.

When North Borneo was renamed Sabah, despite objections of the Philippine government, Sabah became part of the Federation of Malaysia.

When the Federation of Malaysia was created in 1963, Malaysia converted the stipulated rental payment into Malaysian ringgit (now equivalent to P77,000) but not the equivalent of 5,300 pieces of Mexican gold. And this is where the core of the dispute lies. The lease agreement used the word “padjak.” After 85 years of paying rent to the Sultanate of Sulu since 1878, Malaysia in 1963 conveniently misinterpreted the word “padjak” to mean cession or sale. The Sulu Sultanate insists “padjak” means rent, and that it is not a sale.  And why does Malaysia continue to pay rent to the Sulu Sultanate? Malaysia’s position is untenable.

As a lawyer, I  know that a sale needs a specific price. Thus, the continuous indefinite annual payment of P77,000 by Malaysia to the Sultanate cannot by any stretch of the imagination be a definite sale by any legal definition.

This leads me to ask: Didn’t the legal advisers of President Aquino ever consider the legal implications of the Sabah claims? Obviously not since that would rock the boat in our political and economic relations with Malaysia, especially now that Malaysia is brokering the Bangsamoro Framework Agreement.

What is clear is that President Aquino deemed our relations with Malaysia more important than the Sultanate of Sulu.

The President threatened to arrest and charge Kiram and his followers. That does not make sense. Why didn’t Malacañang organize a special task force to attend to the dispute? Who appears anti-Filipino now?

I have been told that even Christians in Mindanao are sympathizing with the Sultanate of Sulu.

“Honor is above life,” the Sultan said. I hope I am wrong on this, but I fear this will have a negative impact on the peace process in Mindanao and our relations with Malaysia.
COMMENT DISCLAIMER: Reader comments posted on this Web site are not in any way endorsed by MST.ph. Comments are views by manilastandardtoday.com readers who exercise their right to free expression and they do not necessarily represent or reflect the position or viewpoint of manilastandardtoday.com. While reserving this publication’s right to delete comments that are deemed offensive, indecent or inconsistent with MST.ph editorial standards, MST.ph may not be held liable for any false information posted by readers in this comments section
comments powered by Disqus

Want Updates?

Be the first to know on what is latest from MST.ph, simply enter your email below to get started. We don’t spam dont worry!

Advertisement