Friday, October 24, 2014
Advertisement

P300m for Albay project

By MST News | Feb. 01, 2013 at 12:00am
Legazpi City — The P2-billion comprehensive urban drainage mitigation project here recently got a fresh P300 million from the Department of Public Works and Highways, and Albayanos thanked President Aquino for the release of the new funds.

Albay Gov. Joey Salceda, who also chairs the Bicol Regional Development Council, said the fresh funds constitute only a small portion of the entire project outlay but will keep it at its implementation pace to further ease some 20 urban barangays of this city from incessant floods.

In behalf of Albayanos, Salceda conveyed his thanks to President Aquino, through Executive Secretary Paquito Ochoa during a recent meeting in Malacanang. The amount represents 15% of the total project cost, the second tranch for the project since last year’s initial release of P500 million.

The flood control project was approved by President Aquino in 2010 during his first presidential visit to Albay. The governor sought and fought for the approval of the project after heavy flooding hit Legazpi City following three months of heavy rains.

“Legazpi folks now realize the favorable impacts of the project. Floods before took about 10 hours to subside, but last year, with the project’s partial implementation, floods subsided in just three hours,” said Dante Baclao, head of the Albay provincial engineering office.
COMMENT DISCLAIMER: Reader comments posted on this Web site are not in any way endorsed by MST.ph. Comments are views by manilastandardtoday.com readers who exercise their right to free expression and they do not necessarily represent or reflect the position or viewpoint of manilastandardtoday.com. While reserving this publication’s right to delete comments that are deemed offensive, indecent or inconsistent with MST.ph editorial standards, MST.ph may not be held liable for any false information posted by readers in this comments section
comments powered by Disqus